XXXVIII

i slipped through the double doors, leaving wilbur standing alone in consternation.

the doors shut with a low thud, i began walking down the long passage. my boots padding against the hard floor.

as i wandered down, approaching a turn in the hall, i glanced out of the windows that lined the right side of the passage.

white flecks clung to the glass, pooling in a slushy mess along the framing. the grounds of the castle were now covered in a thin layer of snow, the powdery substance covering every inch of the courtyard.

kind of wish i brought a cloak now.

in the distance i could hear the low mumbling of two people conversing. i slowed down to a stroll, stopping just before the corner.

the voices were more audible now, i peered past the stone wall. the two figures in the distance appearing to be dream and george.

george had his back facing my direction, dream a few feet to his left.

"-well, they seem to know you." georges voice was monotone, his head turned to face dream.

the usually masked man appeared visibly startled by the statement, his green eyes focusing on george.

"you think i didnt notice the glances their way, the small smiles they gave you throughout the night. cut the shit dream, youve been seeing them." george continued, a sort of venom laced in his voice.

i had gathered at this point that he was speaking about me. i pressed my body flush against the textured wall, listening in further.

"i told you, if you were lying to me there would be consequences, dream."

"i was just doing what you asked." dream spat out abruptly, gauging georges reaction.

the brunette king paused for a moment, before speaking.

"i dont understand what you mean."

"you wanted me to get information on y/n right? thats what ive been doing, you dont need to pay off punz to do something ive been doing for days." the dirty blond stated.

george seemed taken aback by what his guard had said, the man before him staring intensely with his green eyes.

"so you dont care for them?" the king asked, bending down to pick up dreams mask that was discarded on the floor.

georges pale, slender fingers wrapped around the rim of the mask, the shorter male rising up from his bent position. he held out the ceramic mask, awaiting dream to take it from him.

"y/n means nothing to me, i was just doing what you asked of me, your highness." dream took the mask, readjusting it to his face.

george seemed pleased with the statement, he began to walk further down the hall, dream now following close at his feet.

the large door at the end of the corridor swung open as the two slipped through, the hinges jarring as it was slammed shut.

i felt ill, my knees felt weak as i pressed against the wall for support. was everything he said a lie? everything he told me about him and his past? i couldnt help but let the hot tears well up, blurring my vision.

i raised my hand wiping them away aggressively. i picked up my pace and proceeded down the hall, opposite to the way dream and george had went.

in my distraught state, i reached a set of double doors with iron fixtures attached to the dark wood. pushing them open with force, i was met with the harsh cold of the outside.

the snow had picked up, the white flakes now falling at a steady pace. the doors shut behind me, leaving me to freeze out in the grounds of the castle.

i instinctively wrapped my arms around my torso, hoping to preserve some of my body heat.

scanning my surroundings i was met with the dark night, the occasional snow covered statue or bush lined along the bricked castle walls.

a lone lamp stood over the doorway, illuminating a stone bench that was partially dusted with the powdery substance.

i shuffled over to it, wiping away some of the cold sludge and plopping myself down on the icy granite.

my gaze was set on the unpredictable night, the darkness somewhat calming me. tears still threatened to spill, my eyelashes acting as floodgates. i sniffled lightly, wrapping my arms around myself tighter.

the rapid snowfall soon began to cover me, the crystalline matter landing on my bare shoulders and catching on my eyelashes.

low treading noises became increasingly evident, a figure looming closer.

"where were you? ive been looking for you for hours."

a/n- lol how we feeling? vote n comment my beloveds <33