5| TRULY DIGGING FOR GOLD

"You mind if I just relax on this one? It's been a long day

"You mind if I just relax on this one? It's been a long day." JJ sighed that night as John B drove the van down the empty road, a soft tune in the background. Layla looked out the window, twisting the cross necklace her father gave her between her fingers.

"A lot of weird stuff has gone down. I'm just gonna lay low. Oh, did you want a hit of this?" JJ asked as he looked toward Pope who blinked at him.

"I keep the signal clear." Pope answers him, looking at JJ who was in the seat behind him

"JJ, let me." Layla said as he gave her a quick inhale before pulling it back, "Greedy ass."

Pope began to go on.

"Dude, okay. Do you understand that your problem is that you don't get creative?" JJ asked his friend as Layla coughed slightly when she inhaled deeply, Kie rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Look, I-I know I was wrong about the lighthouse, all right? And wrong about everything else going on. But I-I was right about one thing. Okay? My dad is trying to tell me something." John B said from the drivers seat as he looked at Kie and then at the three in the back before turning the wheel.

"Come on." John B rushed them out of the van quickly just a few minutes later.

"This place is scary." Kie said as she looked around at the location John B drove them to.

"I'll protect you." Layla said as she stood before Kie who slapped her arm, "Ow!"

"John B, what are we doing?" the girl now spoke as she looked at her friend with a odd look, annoyed with it already.

"You know how you're trying to remember a song and you can't remember who sings it?" John B asked as he looked to Kie. Layla looked behind her, stoping as she waited for JJ and Pope to catch up with her.

"Yeah." Kie answered with a shrug.

"So, Redfield. This whole time, I thought it was a place, right? But it's not a place. It's a person." John B said as he held the hand lamp up infront of a metal statue that stood taller then all of them, the name at the top.

"Voi-effing-lá." JJ spoke up with a chuckle, staring at the name.

"Fuck yeah." Layla agreed with a salute.

"See, my great great grandmother, Olivia Redfield. That was her maiden name." John B spoke toward them as Layla pulled one of the tall plants as they passed.

"Smart boy, giving Pope a run for his money." Layla giggled at her own words while Pope gave her a annoyed expression.

"Help me with the door." John B said as he passed Layla the lamp while him and Pope went over, counting down as they tried to get the door open.

"Are you pushing?" John B grunted as he pulled.

"I've got it." JJ said as he walked over to help.