27| I LOVE YOU TOO

After the truck broke down, the radiator blowing, and staying over night with a mechanic to get it all fixed, the four pogues were back on the road again

"Charleston is seriously so nice." Layla spoke as she looked out the window, Pope driving down the road.

"Do you not remember when we came here?" Kie asked offended.

"The two of you came here without us?" JJ was the one to be offended now.

"Yeah, we went sailing." Layla said as she leaned back in the car and put a arm around Kie, "Of course I remember, but I haven't seen this part."

"They're a bunch of fancy people. They've had three governors in the family." Kie informed them when Pope slowed down, looking for the correct address in the house, "They've run Charleston for, like, three hundred years."

"That's a bunch of years." Layla nodded her head.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ spoke honestly as he looked at the many, abnormally large houses, "Are you sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure." the taller boy exhaled as he looked up at the house.

"All right." JJ announced, opening the door, "Fat City, for sure."

"You see, I can imagine living here." Layla said as she jumped out, fixing the strap of her green top, "Spending my days drinking lemonade, making bread, drawing naked people. And then I'd finish off the night with a long bath and some green tea. The expensive kind."

"What about your art gallery?" Kie questioned her.

"My art gallery will have workers. Why would I waste my days working there when I make what goes in it?" Layla asked, looking up at the house as she cringed at the sight or the spikes on the fence, "I would absolutely not have those though. Maybe a guard dog. I'll name him JJ."

"Talk about home security." JJ nodded, "Those spikes to keep people out?"

"No." Kie looked his way.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope nodded deeper into the fence.

"I don't like these people." Layla confirmed with a shake of her head, "Any decent human being would take these down by now. It's sick."

The gate opened, the four sharing a uneasy look as they headed inside and up to the door. Pope cleared his throat, knocking on the golden door for a while until it swung open.

"You must be Pope." the dirty looking man spoke, eyeing Pope. Layla assumed that with the money they had, he'd appear more presentable.

"Are you Mr.Limbrey?" Pope asked him with a clear of his throat.

"Ms.Limbrey was expecting you yesterday." The man said, annoyance in his eyes. He sorta reminded Layla of her father, but in a less religious way.

"I'm sorry. Our truck broke down on the way here." Pope apologized quickly, clear panic in his tone as Layla wrapped her pinkie with his.