33| I KNOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE

Layla held back her annoyance after Topper pulled the front door open, leaning on the doorway and staring at her, "Top of the morning

Layla held back her annoyance after Topper pulled the front door open, leaning on the doorway and staring at her, "Top of the morning."

He gave her a eyebrow raise.

"It was partly a pun." Layla pointed out, the morning sun shining down upon her glowy skin and green top, "Top, Topper."

"I got that." he nodded, eying her in the slightest.

"Layla!" Sarah's voice echoed in the house, her feet hitting the floor as she ran out the door and wrapped her in a hug, "You got here quick."

"I wasn't far." Layla grinned, hugging Sarah and swinging them slightly, "Stayed at Henry's girlfriends, actually. Big house, a lot of paintings."

"I bet you liked that." Sarah grinned as she pulled back, arms still around her shoulder.

"Why are you with Topper?" Layla asked, looking at the awkward teenage boy in the doorway, not hiding her clear look of disgust.

"He saved me, last night." Sarah's words brought Layla to look at her oddly, "Rafe jumped me, tried to drown me."

"Drow-Rafe?" Layla asked with a crazy look as Sarah nodded, "What a asshole. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." Sarah took a deep breath as Layla cupped her face to look at her better, "Thanks to Topper."

Layla cleared her throat, trying to force a smile his way but looking more disgusted, "Looks like I owe you one then."

Topper laughed, "It's all good. I mean, somebody had to rescued your girlfriend, right?"

"Glad someone did, can't help but wonder how someone knew she was there though." Layla mocked, crossing her arms as Sarah grabbed her hand with a squeeze. Layla cleared her throat, looking at an invisible watch on her wrist, "Well, look at the time, Sarah. The two of us should be off by now."

"About that time." Topper nodded.

"Topper." Sarah spoke up, letting Layla hand go as she hugged him, "Thank you."

Layla stood awkwardly, rocking on her heels until Sarah turned to her, latching onto her hand as they walked off, "Did you hear?"

"I did hear." Layla grinned, swinging their hands back and forth, "What exactly did I hear?"

Sarah laughed, tugging her hand, "John B got out!"

"Ah, that I did hear." Layla smiled as they approached their bike, "Where do you think we're going now?"

Sarah grinned, "Can I drive? You threw us off last time."

"I did not." Layla defended herself, Sarah looking back at her with disbelief across her face. Layla sucked in her lips and squinted, "I maybe did."

"You maybe did." Sarah agreed as she sat on the bike seat, holding her hand out for Layla to get on the back, "You on?"

"Y-" Layla began, feeling her phone buzz in her pocket, "One second, Suber."