39| THE POLITICAL TALK

"I just don't get it

"I just don't get it. I mean, you guys saw the map. He hides his gold so no one finds it for 170 years." Pope ranted on as the group stayed near the tree, "And then he sends a message to his son, Robert, to come here to his mother's grave, but the message never gets to him. Denmark wanted him to find the cross. I know we're in the right spot. It just feels like-"

"Like we missed something?" JJ's voice caught their attention, heads turning to see he'd been looking up at the tree, "Come here."

Layla gave a odd look as JJ crawled up on the twinkie, Kie following after, "JJ, get down right now before you fall and break a bone."

"Hang on, hang on." he waved her off, "That looks like-"

"The painting in the island room." Kie added in as she looked at the hole in the tree.

"It's worth a shot, right?" JJ spoke up with a shrug, "Go for it."

"No chance." Kie gave a stupid look.

"You do it!" Sarah scoffed from the ground.

"Sorry, I went in the storm drain." Kie said back.

"She did go in the storm drain." Pope sided with Kie.

"Yeah. No, i'm gonna do it. It's just..." JJ trialed off as he pulled his sleeve up some.

"He's scared." Kie whispered.

"I'm not scared, dude." JJ scoffed in disbelief.

"You seem scared." Kie laughed.

JJ slowly reached his hand into the tree, getting closer before letting out a shout. Layla yelled out, grabbing the window to pull herself up immediately. Kie yanking on his body while John B tried to climb the twinkie. JJ began to laugh, relaxing as everyone gave looks of disbelief.

"Real original." Pope scoffed.

"Mom mode really went off there." John B nudged Layla as he let the twinkie go, reaching up to help her down.

"Wait, there's seriously something in here." JJ shook his head, digging deeper before retracting his arm with a golden and maroon trinket.

"Let me see it." Pope reached up. Layla held her hand up to help Kie down, doing the same with JJ as he stumbled into her some, "HMS Royal Merchant."

"Give it to the captain. Here we go. It's a spyglass." JJ yanked it open, peering through the peephole.

"There's something on the end." Kie nodded, their eyes moving toward the little writing.

"An inscription right there. Look at that shit." John B looked down at it.

"You've come this far. Do not falter. The cross is on the Freedman's altar." Layla read over John B's shoulder a second later.

"The cross is at the church!" Pope announced as his face lit up.

"What are we doing here, guys?" JJ called out with wide eyes.