19| TWO AND A HALF HOURS TOO LATE

"Kie!" Layla called out as she road the stolen skateboard into the garage, jumping off and pulling the skateboard up, "Did JJ get it? Did you get the key?"

"He got it." Kie nodded, watching as Layla laid the board down, "Did Sarah get to John B?"

"Yeah, she road my bike through the woods and met up with him." Layla nodded, taking a deep breath, "I brought as much food as I can. But I-"

Layla took a ragged breath as Kie looked worried, "Woah, hey, take a breath."

"I just-" Layla began, hunching over, "I feel like I can't breath."

"You have your inhaler on you?" Kie asked, checking Layla's bag, "Layla?"

"I'm okay." Layla nodded, inhaling but not feeling any breath come with it. Kie grabbed the red inhaler and put it in her hands. Layla took a long inhale as she finally felt like she could breath, "Jesus, that hadn't happened since eighth grade."

"Desperate times." Kie shrugged, glancing JJ's way as he got the boat ready, "Why couldn't you just tell me?"

"Tell you what?" Layla asked, grabbing her bag and throwing it up into the boat, making sure she packed the snacks she knew John B would always take from her house.

"That you were in love with her." Kie shrugged with a knowing look across her face, standing in the doorway, "I'm your best friend."

"That's why I didn't tell you." Layla commented with a sigh, not being able to make eye contact, "I didn't want you to hate me."

"I wouldn't hate you, Layla." Kie shook her head in disbelief, "I'm just confused."

Layla had to laugh, "Yeah, me too."

"Is Sarah not actually into John B?" Kie went on to question as Layla climbed up on the boat, "Was it a cover up?"

"I don't know, we didn't really talk about it last night." Layla shrugged her shoulders, "She said she loved me and she was gonna tell John B. You think she was for real?"

Kie didn't say anything, Layla frowned and nodded her head, "Yeah, i'm not sure either."

The dirt bike heard as Layla crawled down, feeling JJ grab her waist and help her down with a rub to her head.

"Pope, finally!" Kie called out as she walked over toward the opening of the garage.

"Hey, there." a new voice rung. Layla looked over immediately, finding Rafe Cameron coming around the corner with wide, strung out eyes. "What's goin on? JJ? Layla? How you guys doing?"

Kie walked back over toward the due as Barry whistled from behind them, walking out from the other opening, "Well, well."

He pulled a gun from his back pocket, aiming it at JJ as his hands immediately went up, "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road."