1| KOOK QUEEN

Chapter One| I Met Sarah In The Bathroom

Layla wasn't a bad kid. She kept her grades up, she did as many clubs as she could, she smiled often, helped people out when she could, tried to stay on the positive side most of the time. But one little slip up set off her preacher father, one little slip up had her sent away to a church camp for the first month of summer. He almost sent her away for the whole summer but after many begs, having her friends convince him they'd keep her in line, he agreed on one month.

Layla knew deep down she shouldn't have lied but sending her away for one screw up pissed her off. She hated the fact that she knew he wasn't sending her away because she lied about going to her job, he sent her away because she went to meet up with a girl. Layla loved girls, she hated the idea of men and found herself only being able to picture a future or relationship with a woman. She was okay with that, she never had any internal homophobia and her four friends accepted her which was all she cared about. But her dad owned the only church on the cut, being a pastor and thinking everything in the world had to do with god did not sit well with him.

"Man and women is how it goes."

"How will you have kids?"

"Homosexuals are sins."

"It's against god, Layla."

Layla knew he loved her, and she loved him. Despite his beliefs Roman never yelled at Layla for it, simply telling her these things and letting her know he didn't agree with her choices. Even though it wasn't a choice at all but he didn't wanna hear that.

The church camp Layla attended was strictly targeted to the gays. Before you panic, hang on, they never once inflicted pain on Layla... conversion therapy was illegal in their state and she couldn't imagine her dad, who never agreed with spanking or hitting your child as punishment, would send her somewhere they'd hurt her.

She did get woken with pray each morning and they specifically preach on homosexuality. It took everything Layla had to bite her tongue instead of going off about how a bunch of old people wrote the bible, not god, about how god said to love all people. But she knew it would only land her here longer which was keeping her away from her friends who she missed dearly.

But on a happier note you'll all be pleased to know Layla was currently on a ship with Tourons back to the OBX. She stood at the front of the ship, the island getting closer and closer as a smile spread across her face. The familiar salty water smell putting comfort over her body immediately, ready to get back in the water and surf her heart out. She couldn't wait to help Kie save the turtles again, couldn't wait till she could get high with JJ again, couldn't wait to discuss colleges with Pope again, couldn't wait to humiliate John B when she takes his waves from him. All around she just couldn't wait to see her friends again, her family again.