18| SECOND FIRST KISS

"Put pressure, hurry

"Put pressure, hurry." Layla panicked as John B got to Peterkins first, Layla close behind as she yanked her shoe laced from her shoes quickly, "This is gonna hurt like a bitch."

The woman moaned in pain when Layla tied them around her wound, shoving her fingers into the wound and keeping it covered, "Just breath with me, sheriff, keep your eyes open, okay?"

"Call." she spoke through ragged breaths as John B apologized over and over, "Call for help."

John B grabbed hold of her radio before Rafe held the gun to the two.

"Rafe, no! Rafe!" Ward yelled at him suddenly, the Cameron boy ignored his father and aiming the gun at John B's head.

"Don't you move." Rafe threatened Layla, "Don't move or i'll shoot you both!"

"I'm not moving." Layla said back, keeping her hands on the sheriffs wounds.

"John B, give me the radio." Ward spoke, realizing it's what Rafe had held the gun to his head for.

"No." John B spoke back.

"Give it to him." Layla spoke in a low voice his way, looking back at Sarah who was sobbing a few feet away, clearly lost as to what to do next.

Ward yanked it from John B's hands, Peterkins gasping for air. Layla tilted her head as much as she could to try and get her as much air as she could. Rafe held the gun at them again before Ward cut in, "Rafe, I got it. Calm down. Rafe, put the gun down."

"Run." Peterkins spoke to the two.

"I'm not leaving you." John B shook his head down at her.

"You'll bleed out if I let go." Layla spoke, holding the wound close shut, the sticky and warm blood all over her hands.

"Run." she spoke again to the pair.

"Layla." John B spoke as he looked at her with pleading eyes, "We have to."

Layla looked down at the sheriff, her head nodding as Layla let out a sob when she let her hands go.

"I'm sorry." John B whispered to her, pulling Layla up with him as they backed up toward Sarah.

"Where are you goin? Huh?" Rafe yelled at them, lunging from behind Ward.

"Run! Go!" Sarah yelled, shoving the pair.

John B started to run, waiting for Layla to come but saw she'd guarded Sarah with her body.

"Layla, go!" Sarah begged her as Rafe came near them.

"Over my dead body will I leave you alone here!" Layla yelled at her in disbelief, over the shots of the gun Rafe began shooting toward John B, running through the woods. Layla jumped up on Rafes back, biting into his shoulder hard as he yelled out, the gun falling from his hands and his elbow flying back and hitting her square in the face.