24| THE PHONE CALL

"Look, it was right here, and this is where the maniac claimed his next victim

"Look, it was right here, and this is where the maniac claimed his next victim." Kie explained after Shoupe showed up with his officers.

"His next victim? How long ago did you say this happened?" Shoupe hummed with a clear look of disbelief across his lips.

"Forty-Five minutes ago, Shoupe." JJ announced, grabbing Layla's hand as she helped him off the ground.

"Okay. So Ward Cameron just popped one off and shot him. Execution style?" Shoupe asked the four with a questionable look, shaking his head.

"If some stupid Kook assholes shows up and were accusing a Pogue of shooting someone, you'd be treating this completely different." Layla glared and spoke louder his way.

"We filmed the entire thing." Kie spoke up to side with Layla, "But we can't show you because I stepped on JJ's hand, and then he kicked Pope in the face, and then Pope stepped on Layla's head, making him drop the camera and it broke."

"This is a telphoto, and we needed a long distance image, and-and I fell, and I broke it, so the video is basically unusable." Pope explained guilty, holding the camera in his palms.

"Yeah but maybe we can put it in rice." Layla suggested, earning a dumb look, "Or not, never mind."

"So the dog ate your homework?" Shoupe rose his brows at the four once again.

"Shoupe, I know how it sounds-" Kie spoke, on the verge of tears again.

"Look, I don't know what you kids expect me to do with this. You drag me out here in the middle of the night for a whole lot of nothing." the sheriff spoke as he looked around the construction sight in disbelief, "Except for some crazy story about Ward Cameron out on a killing spree."

"Aren't you suppose to take these type of things serious?" Layla asked in disbelief before she rose a eyebrow, "Sheriff."

He gave her a look, "And aren't you suppose to not even be here?"

"I'm perfectly fine here, my lawyer knows a lot actually." Layla stated as she gave a nod.

"It's not a random killing spree." Pope cut the high tension off, saving Layla's ass, "Gavin was his pilot. Okay, he was paying him hush money because he was on the tarmac that day."

"Gavin was blackmailing Ward because he had the gun that Rafe used to kill Peterkin." Kie backed his words up quickly.

"Then he called him here and tried to pay him off. But it wasn't enough and then so he shot him!" JJ threw his hands up quickly with a shake of his head and a harsh sigh.

"Aren't you just a little bit suspicious?" Layla asked in disbelief.

"How do you know about Gavin?" Shoupe sighed.

"Pope did this thing with his phone. He, like, put it in his car and-" Kie began trying to explain before Pope jumped in.

"Heard the whole conversation." Pope nodded his head.