Never be alone

The silence between us was gentle. Being carried my the cold winters breeze. The lake was frosted with a light layer of mist, the grass hidden beneath a beautiful fog, the evening dew tinted the bright green grass, creating a small sparkling effect when you looked around. It was a beautiful evening, the sun hanging low enough in the sky to cast a soft, yet bright reflection on the rippling water, much like a movie picture, actually. It was perfect, yet my eyes where full of fresh tears, threatening to fall down my soft cheeks.

I look into his perfect brown eyes as he smiles at me weakly and strokes my long brown hair.

"I'll be back before you know it. I promise." He whispers.

"I don't know what to do without you Matt! I can't do it alone." I cry.

"You'll never be alone babe. When you look up at the stars at night, just know I'll be laying under the same sky. I may be far away but I'll never be gone." He holds my face in his large hands. I wrap my arms around his neck and hold him.

"I don't want it to end like this Matt. Why do you have to go!" I cry into his neck as his grip tightens on my small body.

"I have no choice. They need me to fight." He says, choking on his words.

"Will I ever see you again?" I whisper quietly, not wanting to hear the truth.

"I hope so babe. I'll fight for you. I won't give up! I love you so much"

"I love you too." I hold his hand, never wanting to let go.
~~~~~

I wake up to Matt sitting in front of me, sadness flooding his face. A tear rolls down my cheek, knowing this is it.

We drive to the airport in silence, to sad to talk.

"I'll see you soon. I promise." He whispers as I hold on to him, knowing he might never come back.

"Goodbye Matt. I love you." I cry. He smiles at me, tears filling his perfect eyes as he turns around and walks towards the plane. He looks back one more time. I smile weakly and wave goodbye, trying to stay strong.

As soon as the plane takes off I fall to the ground, crying and screaming.
Only 2 months later, I receive the horrible call, telling me Matt had been killed in war.
That was it. I lost my everything. My true love. My warrior.