The Mystery Box

One, two, three, four...

I sit on my bed in a t-shirt and some comfy shorts. My fingers gently trace over and count my scars, one by one. Tear by tear rolling down my cheek and falling onto my legs, from there on the tears slowly fade away. I gaze over at my bed side table, slightly cringing as I see the picture of Matt and I from two years ago on my birthday. My eyes travel back to my scars.

I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was the day Matt and I made our love official, it was also the day that I stopped hating myself. He managed to turn my cuts into fading scars in a heart beat.

But now, now it's Christmas Eve as I am sitting alone in my bedroom. Matt's flight from LA to Virginia had been delayed due to bad weather, causing him to miss Christmas this year.

My whole life I've always loved Christmas, spending time with my family and laughing together. But this year, I'm all alone. And it breaks my heart in to many ways possible.

A bright light shining in from outside my window snaps me out of my thoughts. I furrow my eyebrows together as I hop out of bed and shuffle over to the window. With all the snow outside its hard to see much. I can spot a small box on the ground, surrounded by little candles. I quickly sprint down the stairs, pausing in front of the house door to put my winter boots on. I step into the cold weather and pull out my phone from my pocket. I turn on the flash and slowly make my way around the side of the house to were the box is.

I stare at the small red box on the ground for a bit, questioning wether I should open it or not. A sensation of curiosity floods over me and I bend down to pick up the box.

I cautiously open it and peek inside. A small piece of paper is folded up inside of it. I pull it out and unfold it. My lips move in sync as I mumble the words out loud to myself.

Follow the lights

I furrow my eyebrows together quizzically. The words don't make sense to me.

Just in that moment, a string of Christmas lights flicker on. My eyes widen slightly, questions fill my head.
My curiosity has the best of me again as I decide to follow the string of lights. It's leads back around the house and into the door of the house. I look around cautiously and then rush inside, shutting the door behind me. The lights continue to go up the stairs and stop in front of my bedroom door.

I momentarily pause to debate wether or not I should open the door. I barely realize as my hand reaches forward and slowly pushes the door open, my mouth hanging slightly open in shock.

"Matt." I can barely get his name out of my mouth. My heart begins pounding against my chest and butterflies pile up in the pit of my stomach, ready to explode as Matt's face lights up with a huge smile on his perfect face that I've missed so much.

"Hi baby!" He chuckles. Matt opens up his arms for me as i run over to him, jumping into his arms and wrapping my legs around his torso as the butterflies explode in millions of ways, sending electricity through my body. Matt laughs into my neck, his hands brushing through my long hair as my hands hold onto him tightly, making sure I won't have to be without him again.

"I could never miss Christmas with my baby girl." Matt whispers in my ear and peppers my face with kisses, making me smile brightly. I mumble a barely audible "thank you" as a tear of joy falls down my cheek.

"This is all I ever want for Christmas. To have you here with me. It's all I can ask for." I grin, my shimmering eyes locking with Matt's. He smiles brightly before pulling face to his and diving for my lips. I kiss back passionately. My emotions pouring out of me like a waterfall. This means so much to me. Having him here with me. This will be a Christmas to remember with my lifesaver by my side.
-

It's like 10 days until Christmas!
Ahh so excited🎅🏼🎁🎄