25 - She won't be back

Neil's POV

"Where are you going, huh?" She stares at me.

"Going away from someone who is currently annoying me!" I stare back.

"Come on, Neil." She whines.

I roll my eyes. "Just go and tell him you like him. It's easy." I glare at her gesturing to the one she was crushing on a long time.

"It's not that easy to confess to someone you like." She says in defence, pouting.

"Practice on me then."

"Neil, you're not hitting on me, are you?" She wiggles her eyebrows, and I let out a laugh.

"No way, you and I are going to nothing more than best friends." I stammered, "Your future boyfriend won't have me as a troublemaker," I wink as she tilts her head a little. "I'll probably be a third wheel."

"You are gonna find someone too." Her eyes light up, "If not I'll find you one."

She entwines her hand with mine as we walk on the pavement side by side, hand in hand.

Back then, we were friends with the strongest bond.

Nothing could break us apart, but I guess...life did.

Not always in life, things go according to our plan. But then again, that is, what life is. Unpredictable.

And most of the times, we can't do anything about it. Just move on, and go with the flow.

We were just 18 back then and look at me now. There is no us because she is gone.

I miss you, Aditi.

"Neil!!" Mom's voice reaches up to my ears and I smile, keeping away my phone that displayed our childhood picture, us in our usual brown school uniforms, smile on our faces, throwing a peace sign as we pose for a picture.

"Yes Mom," I stood up to hug her when she eyes me with an amused look.

"Hm, what's so special? My son is hugging me and all."

"It's not like he doesn't, Shweta," Bebe says, smiling at me.

"Sure but from a few days, he is acting all different."

"I am a little tired, that's all. And I miss Aditi, sometimes." I try to keep my smile, but I can't seem to smile.

Bebe looks at me with a pained smile, "We miss her too. But let's accept it? Hm?" She says, and Mom nods with a faint smile.

"I guess her absence reminds me every day that she won't be back. I am a little close to accepting. Also, it's been almost half a year to that."

Bebe pats my shoulder before she tells me to come to breakfast. We sit at the dining table, talking about Aditi's Mom NGO, and how it's doing. Dad always leaves early for work, attending early meetings and appointments with different business tycoon's. He was well known here.

As I got up and finished my breakfast, putting the dishes on the sink, I asked Bebe, "Did you prepare it, Bebe?"

"Oh I did, it's healthy and will be beneficial." She hands me the vessel with a smile.

"Hope your friend gets well soon."

I nod, walking away, but she questions me, "You're not wearing a uniform? Aren't you going to the Police Station?"

"I am, but later. First...I need to give her this." I gesture at the vessel.

"Her? I thought it was a boy. Nevermind, what's her name?" She grins at me.