40 - pumpkin attitude

Author's POV

The images of last night didn't dawn upon Avni until she saw herself in the mirror.

Waking up early wasn't in her plan but the chatter of birds against the window and the low rumbling in the sky made it easier to get out of the slumber she was in. She was properly sleeping on the bed with a duvet on. The weather was as irritated as it was yesterday if not more, gloomy with hazy clouds which wasn't a pleasing sight as it was more humid now. The city had a weird temperature, neither cold nor hot, it was something in between most of the time which didn't leave an appreciable impression on the people.

She shut down the curtains, heading over to wash up when her eyes landed on her clothes, messily wrinkled and her lips a little swollen. Her fingers trailed on them, a blush creeping up on her cheeks at the sudden realisation.

They spent too much time there, kissing, giggling over his pick-up lines in between, it almost was surreal. There was this beautiful intoxicating feeling that they couldn't get enough of, prying onto it again and again until they were full but they weren't quite yet. It was an overwhelming experience to feel this kind of intimacy where eyes could convey the feelings and words were rarely spoken.

To say that, it was indeed a long night.

Avni wasn't sure when they parted, it was blurry and all she remembers is him kissing his forehead before leaving or maybe that was just her daydreaming.

Suddenly, it clicked that she was too busy reminiscing those events as she stood there for the past few minutes so brushing off the thoughts, she washed up before changing into something comfy which was a wrecking task with the cast on her arm.

Down the hallway, she spotted the guest room's door open, a hushed voice reaching her ears as she got closer.

"Mom, I swear I didn't catch a cold." Neil's voice boomed as she stood before the door. "Okay, I'll come home for breakfast. Don't worry."

He turned his attention to the knock on the door, a smile flitting on his lips as he watched Avni awkwardly standing, a faint curve on her lips. He gestured her to come in, his mind twirling back to the person on the phone. "Mom, listen...I am perfectly fine. When I come home, check it for yourself." He whined softly.

Avni gawked shamelessly as he spoke, conversing in a different type of cute way with his mother, her eyes crinkling, unable to hide the smile on her cheeks.

"Okay, I'll see you. Bye."

Just as he hanged up, he eyed Avni who was staring at him albeit a little awkward, dressed in matching bear pyjamas and top, hair let open. "Good morning," he greeted, flashing her a smile.

"Morning!"

"Does it tax you to say good?" He raised a brow, walking towards her.

"With the cast on, it surely does." She muttered, gaze flitting from her arm, back to him.

"Till when it's gonna be?"

Avni gleamed, waiting for the day. "This week," she smiled. "They'll remove it and I'll start rehab. Maybe, I can go back to shooting and quit the boring time."

"You must really hate it."

Avni nodded, pouting. "Yeah, I despise it."