41 - our time together

Author's POV

It was their date, finally.

Neil wasn't one to daydream about going out with anyone because he was someone who was always practical and stuck to the present but Avni, she meant a lot to him. He wasn't sure when it happened, the way his perspective about romance changed a little, but he was really nervous when he asked her out in the middle of the make-out session which was rarely a Neil thing to do. However, the outcome was in his favour which kept him giddy throughout.

The misty atmosphere didn't dim the light that flickered over the butterflies fluttering in his chest. His eyes had a certain glimmer, raw and beautiful as he anticipated to capture the sight of the woman who he genuinely fell for.

As he watched, he caught her pacing towards the car dressed in a rich black sheath dress, hair falling partially to the right, slightly curled at the ends. He smiled as she opened the door and glanced at him with a nervous expression though it seemed like she was awaiting the event as much as him.

He saw her struggle to sit with the cut-out heels before she breathed a sigh of relief after situating herself comfortably on the seat and closing the door.

"Don't rush like that," He spoke, earning a breathy chuckle from her.

"Sure, Mr Khanna!" She returned a smile that seemed to mock him, for what he didn't have time figuring out.

She was startled when he suddenly shifted towards her, fastening the seatbelt for her. The proximity was not foreign anymore nor was it awkward when she looked with disbelief at the quite bold demeanour of him.

He tried to suppress the smug smile but when he winked he gave it away. She gaped at the audacity nonetheless, her gaze trailed to his beige pants and black button-up shirt that unexpectedly matched with her outfit.

Neil noticed and rose his brow, smiling ear to ear at her flushed cheeks despite the make-up which failed at covering it up. It was light, something he mostly saw on her when they went out which was only twice (considering this date).

He shook his head, smiling at the thoughts as he drove with the music being their favourite thing to enjoy with the comfortable silence.

"Did the meeting go well?"

"Ah.." He glanced at her once. "Yeah, it went well. It was sudden and I didn't expect it to happen today. Thankfully, it didn't last long because I didn't want to cancel our time together."

Avni caught his soft smile, her own gradually appearing at his words. He was always so direct, honest with his words and content with his feelings, and Avni liked it the way it was.

"I thought you were going to cancel," Avni spoke her thoughts which shocked Neil a bit but he smiled.

"I wouldn't like it if that were to happen."

"Same.." It was a whisper but Neil heard it. When they stopped at the signal, he offered her a fond smile that left her blushing, and Neil didn't mind one bit.

Neil didn't tell her any details but she was sure they were most probably going on a dinner date. Avni would like that since she was really hungry and she wouldn't want to miss the opportunity of eating everything she wanted to. Because if shoots were to happen, she would have to be on a strictly healthy diet that required nothing other than homemade food.