18 - Gunshots

Avni's POV

Fear crept into my mind. I knew what a fake gun looked like. And this was real.

He bent over to take hold of the gun, his grip on my mouth loosening. I turned around swiftly, and without a second thought, I kicked him. I kicked him on the crotch. He groaned, stumbling back a few steps.

"What the hell-Avni!" His voice was low and he seemed pissed.

He knew my name?

I looked up, gathering courage and taking a deep breath. That's when I saw his face. I gaped at him in shock.

No. This can't be.

"Neil!!!" My voice was sharp and I was boiling inside.

He composed himself and came forward picking up the gun. He leaned closer, his eyes were filled with annoyance.

"Didn't I tell you to not attend this event?"

Was he being serious? I scoffed, "How can you even manage to say such a thing after literally making me feel like I am being kidnapped?"

"Avni, there's a reason."

"And what's that?"

"You didn't follow my instructions and I told you there will be consequences." He said through gritted teeth.

"I can't believe you." I crossed my arms.

"Avni, you are stubborn. The way you accepted my command that day, I knew you were being suspicious. But I had some faith in you, and you did the opposite."

He didn't understand my reason. I was not going to explain it to him. I felt irritated after what he did just a few minutes ago. I wanted to shout at him, but I tried to keep my cool.

"You are insane." I snapped.

"For sure I am Miss Avni Raichand. I have to be." His voice was gruff, annoyed and filled with rage.

He dared to be angry at me? If someone should be, that should be me.

"Go on with you sick tricks and games Neil. For god sake, stop it. I am done with this. If I am in danger, I am. You being a police officer doesn't make it any different."

Anger, frustration and fear, all of it were coming out now and I was lashing out at him. I never had been this scared since...that time and the resentment towards police was being taken out at him. I felt miserable talking to him in such a tone but he's being too involved and I don't want it. I don't want him to surround my life and make it hard for me.

He harshly grabbed my arm, pinning me against the wall. "I am not playing any games with you." My arm ached at the intensity with which he was holding on. I was fuming and his eyes mirrored my expression.

"You are hurting me, Neil. Let go." I saw his eyes softening and so his grip.

"I am sorry." He whispered in realisation.

But before I could even say something. The sound of gunshots surrounded us, startling me. I felt my heart pounding fast, and a pair of arms around me.

I didn't realise being in his embrace, my face resting into his chest. His hand patting my hair and another being pressed onto my back.

I pushed him back a little, and he looked at me, confused but soon another smashing found filled the air. He grabbed me, walking towards the bed.

"Stay here. Don't go around anywhere. I will be back." I nodded at him, and he went out of the room.