01 - Stealing glances

Author's POV

Neil was lost, concentrating on the Agni lit in front of him. His attention was caught by a bevvy of girls walking towards him, chattering and teasing the bride.

The bride was wearing an auspicious silver-coloured lehenga with minimal diamond jewellery, perfectly complimenting the outfit.

The bride's outfit was themed with the groom's silver coloured sherwani but Neil was not able to recognize the bride as the face appeared blurred to him.

Suddenly a familiar voice caught his attention which forced him to look back and before he could lend his ears, a bellowing sound of alarm burst out in the room.

Neil woke up, panting, thinking about the weird dream he just had a few seconds ago. He cupped his face, exhaling to calm himself down.

Suddenly, someone broke into the room.

"Neil?" Bebe, Neil's grandmother, questioned worriedly examining his face.

"Bebe...it's just-" Before he could give out about his strange dream, Bebe cut him off, scolding.

"I'll not take any excuses. Today is your engagement, and we have so much to do and you're sleeping soundly. Not happening."

Bebe turned around, only to glare at him again, "Go and get ready."

Neil nods, sighing as he gets up to freshen up and put on the outfit for his engagement after.

He comes down the stairs, staring at the decorations, and muffled voices of his family members ordering or preparing things. Yesterday's work was tiring, resulting in only a few hours of sleep for Neil.

The ladies were busy in the preparations. Some were chattering, some were glancing at the beautiful henna on their hands, smiling at each other and clicking a few pictures.

At the entrance, Shweta and Bebe were summing up their ideas regarding decorations, while Prakash, Neil's Dad ordered the cook to check the cuisine preparations but oblivious to everything, Neil was lost in his thoughts.

Bebe glanced at his state before she questioned, "What happened Neil?"

"Nothing," Neil answered pressing his lips into a tight smile.

"I feel something is bothering you, wanna share?" Bebe asked worriedly.

"No Bebe, nothing is bothering me," Neil replies instantly, pushing her slightly to go and attend the guests.

Time passed, everybody was laughing and teasing wholeheartedly, welcoming the groom who was lit in a navy blue kurta hiding all his demeanour behind his plastered smile.

While on the other hand, the entrance was lit with the entry of Oberoi's. Shweta and Bebe welcomed them.

Shweta eyes wavered to find a certain someone. "Where is my to be daughter-in-law?"

"She would be here in no time," Mira answered with a smile lit on her face.

"Guess everyone is waiting for me?" Aditi chirped enlightening everyone with her presence as she walked towards Bebe.

Aditi was the one to brighten up people's day with just her presence. No doubt everyone loved her so much.

Shweta smiles seeing her, hugging her profusely and a few relatives show the same love to Aditi, and Mira, Aditi's mother.

Aditi looked beautiful as she was dressed in a blue customised piece of gown, that complimented her charm.

The couple danced, swaying smoothly to the music, smiling at each other. It wasn't awkward for any of them, their hands perfectly fitting each other for years. Neil's other hand lied on Aditi's waist, while Aditi's other palm was on his other half's shoulder. They giggled in between, conversing things and how different it was this time.

Everybody cheered for Neil and Aditi as exchanged their rings. Aditi was on the ninth cloud whereas Neil was disguised in his plastered smile.

The evening went happily, everyone wished the couple with blessings. Aditi was stealing glances at Neil whereas Neil smiled at her, but he was most certainly lost somewhere, a bothersome environment surrounding his mind.

Night arrived soon, the dim light shining onto Neil's demeanour. He was lying on his bed like a dejected soul, thinking about his future married life with Aditi where there was only one-sided love by her and he was still confused about his feelings, completely unaware of where his life will lead him to.

|××××××|

A/N :

This is my first ever book that I started in 2018, but I changed the storyline and published it again in 2020.

I am looking forward to your response on this. Hope we stay together for a long time :)

Votes and comments are always appreciated! ❤️

~

agni (vedic fire god in hinduism, also a witness for important actions, hence the use of fire in many Hindu weddings)

lehenga (traditional clothing in a few cultures, also can be worn in weddings by the bride)

kurta (can be worn in general or as formal wear too)