31 - Queen's Necklace

Author’s POV

Neil waited in the car, leaning against the seat and closed his eyes, sighing. He was tired, exhausted from all the work, the pressure that was building from the special case he was offered. He needed a break, a short one, to take his mind off from a few things.

Avni was safe here, Neil knew that. He knew that the person who was behind her, was slowly pulling out an arrow, aiming at her, waiting for her to be weak. Neil would never let her be in a vulnerable situation, where he could not protect her.

A sense of duty, after what happened a few months ago. Neil was starting to accept that his best friend was gone and he hated it. She didn't need to go so soon.

"Piya, get off from the call," Avni whined, nudging Piya from the past thirty seconds but she was still ranting to Ali.

"Wait a goddamn minute." Piya rushed towards her, placing the dress in front of Avni to ensure it was good, head tilted and her phone pressed onto her ears.

"Put it on speaker, at least," Avni said. "And, I am not going on a fashion show. I just need to change from the nightclothes–never mind, I'll do it." Avni pushed Piya away.

She scoffed, "It is a date. You don't get it." She put her phone on speaker and walked towards Avni, snatching the clothes from her. "Damn, Avni...you can't wear these on a date. You're supposed to make an impression."

"What's going on?" Ali voiced out.

"Baby, she should wear something beautiful. Look at her, she is choosing jeans," Piya shouted so Ali could hear.

"WHERE TO?" Ali said. "Isn't it is almost close to midnight in India?"

"IT IS," Piya yelled. "Avni–wait. Baby, we made a bet, you're supposed to buy me that dress we saw back in London." She referred to Ali, attention wavering away from Avni.

"What bet? I don't remember anything."

"About the date. You told me, Avni won't go on a date any soon. You lost it. That ACP asked her out." Piya tried to convince, pouting.

Avni glanced at Piya. "It's not a date, Noodles. We are going on a drive."

"That's not true," Piya whined. "You are lying."

"See, you didn't win it." Ali laughed.

Avni fished out from her shorts and tee, taking help from Piya. "At least, don't wear jeans. You'd be uncomfortable." Piya said.

"I am not," Avni said and took out the white tee and olive green pants from the closet.

"Okay, sure." Piya eyed the dress. "This seems better."

"Avni, why did he ask you out? What did he say?" Ali asked, making Piya frown. "Are you sure about this?"

"Baby, don't interrogate like a police officer. That's not your job. Neil will do it well." Piya voiced soft, rolling her eyes.

Avni chuckled. "He didn't ask. I did."

Silence followed. Ali didn't know what to say and Piya was shocked, seeing a different side of Avni.