36 - A step ahead

Author's POV

Neil was extremely troubled.

The distress that found its way earlier, inviting a crease on his forehead, leaving him hurt and with a displeasing feeling in the stomach; now rested for a whole different reason.

He was finding it hard to believe.

To believe that those moments that were spent in each other's company; teasing, laughing, smiling or even frustration that led to crying, were all fake.

Everything can't be just for show. Could it be?

But he knew better.

He knew that anything or everything could be pre-planned. You just need a conscience with tactics and skills to perfect your act.

And his subject of interest was Avni. Someone who excelled in that field. She knew how to act, be it romantic or action, she nailed it with perfection. Something that Neil found himself admiring.

But this. This was something else. His ways were failing him. His mind wasn't being sensible. His heart was trying so hard to make him comply into thinking that all of it didn't matter. He was fighting a war with what was right and what he thought was right. All because of  Avni.

They say trust your heart, for it's the answer for one and all. But does his profession allows him to pass a judgement based just on intuition?

No, he can't do that. Even if he wants, he won't.

There's no denying his feelings or going back to where it was just for sake of gratitude that he felt. He's in deep. So, there's only one thing he can do, rather he feels he can.

Go with the flow.

He will trust her, like he did. But he'll be careful too. Because until he gets a reality check, he can't stop holding back. And if that continues, he is afraid that he will fail to be sincere with her.

"Any other blow and I'll be barely holding on to the string." He mumbles, rubbing the side of his neck. A sudden thud jolted him out of his thoughts. His eyes flickered to his bedroom door. He stood up, sighing, walking towards and in.

"Close the door." Upon hearing his instructive tone, her heart skipped a beat. It appeared to her, he had that effect on her.

Swallowing the nervous feeling, she backed away a step, but her gaze never met his. There was this curiously that lingered in her mind when the faint breeze brushed her skin.

Neil's right palm was still curled around the doorknob as he watched her, but his eyes widened when he saw her making her way out that door. His reflex was quick, he walked towards and retracted her back in with his firm grip on her wrist.

"Let me look." Avni frowned, stumbling back, her back hitting his chest surging a rush of butterflies through her.

"What's so interesting there?" Neil huffed with a genuine interest, distancing himself from her, missing the way Avni's faint blush faded.

"The air's cool. It's so hot here." She gave him a look, one that wanted to let her do what she wants. Agreeing to everything she had to say because she had that effect on him. God, he had it bad. "And what is the problem if I go out there for a moment?"