24 - Hold up a poster

Author's POV

The odour of the hospital disgusted Avni, reminding her of someone she lost years ago. The exception was she was alone this time, laying on the hospital bed. A long time ago, tears kept flowing furiously through the eyes of her and her mother upon seeing Abhay, Avni's little brother at the loss of life.

It was almost time for the surgery. Doctors injected Avni with anaesthesia resulting her in being unconscious through the procedure. They cut the skin of her upper arm, performing ORIF, using plates and wires to align the bones and relocating the humerus.

While the surgery is in process, Piya's patience wears thin as she waits outside the operating room so she engages in a conversation with her boyfriend.

"Yes, I'm wondering when it'll be over?" Piya leans more into the chair as she converses with Ali.

"Soon and I hope Avni will be fine. I am nothing but worried, I wish I was there to take care of her." Ali sighs.

"Don't worry I'll be there for her when I can," Piya says sighing.

"I know but you can't be there all the time, I'm sick worried. We should just shift to Mumbai I guess."

"No, you can't. Avni won't allow Mom to be here. Also, what about her work? And maybe I've found someone who'll maybe look after her." Piya says unsure, nibbling on her bottom lip.

"What do you mean?" Ali questions.

"There's this guy-"

"No!! You are not going to let her be alone with anyone. Especially a guy-come on, Piya this isn't funny." Ali's speaks hoarsely.

"Ali what I'm saying is-"

"No Piya, I am trusting her with you. Don't let me be wrong here. Everything isn't for your fun."

"What do you mean? You are saying like I don't care about her. I am her best friend. She can't be stuck alone all her life. She is already reserved for her life. She won't share everything she's feeling. If maybe she gets a companion it's for her good. Piya sighs, "Ali, please let's give it a try."

"You have got her on casual dates, what else you need?"

"There's a difference between casual dates and someone who'll actually like her and wants to stay. And we can't be with her all the time, if there's someone who would be, why don't you want it?" Piya questions with agitation.

"Okay." Ali exhales.

"No need to fight me for that," Piya rolls her eyes. "I'll hang up okay baby, love you. I need to set up some things." Piya winks and Ali chuckles at her.

"Sure weirdo, bye. Take care of her and yourself. I'll tell mom about it and make sure you get a good scolding." Ali smirks wickedly and Piya gapes in shock before the call gets hanged up.

A few hours later, the doctors come out of the operating room, into the waiting hall and Piya anticipates the details.

"The surgery was successful but she is unconscious due to the side effects of anaesthesia. She won't be up until an hour probably and strictly no visitors till tomorrow. Don't give her processed food and the nurse will let you know the details and all the prescribed medicines she needs." The doctor explains and walks away, a smile creeps on Piya's lips, relief washing over her.