28 - Hidden identity

Author's POV

"Do you remember anything happening while you were there?" Neil asks, voice soft.

The girl shook her head as she fidgets with her fingers.

Neil sighs. "DD, have you checked the cameras around there?"

"There aren't any cameras that caught the incident. But the camera at the end of the lane shows a person, face hidden with a mask and yes, a parcel in his hands."

"A parcel?" Neil ponders. "What kind? Did you find any?"

"No, Sir. He left without delivering." DD answers. "But we're checking the paths from where he could have travelled till there."

Neil nods. "Can you tell us your name?" He asks the little girl.

She fiddles with her fingers again, eyes not meeting his, sweat forming on her forehead.

"It's okay...you can tell us." He assures her.

"Viv." She mumbles.

"Viv?" He asks. "Are you sure that's your full name?"

The girl looks at him for a moment and shook her head. "It's longer but..."

"But?"

"But he says...it's Viv only."

"He, who?"

"Someone who knows me."

"Do you not know that someone?"

"I think...I do. But I don't remember."

"Okay, Viv. Thank you for telling us. You see that lady over there." Neil glances at the woman, "She will be taking care of you."

"N-no." Her lips tremble.

"Why? She is good."

"He won't l-like it."

"What is your relationship with him? What does he do?" Neil asks, carefully not trying to hit a nerve.

"He sends me gifts and toys. He feeds me food, a few times. He talks with me, sometimes."

Neil carefully listens to her answer, each word trying to find the person she is talking about. He didn't know the intentions but the girl wasn't that scared while talking about him, but hesitating.

"Don't tell him, I told you." She speaks, "H-he told me I have to wait and he will take me... home."

"Did he tell you...where his home is?"

"Far away, not in India."

Not in India?

"You say you don't remember much. Then how do you remember all these?"

"I forget a lot...so I write and draw."

"Can I see it?"