43 - more or less

Author's POV

"Avni Raichand?" 

The gruff pronunciation of her name brought her back from the never-ending whirl in her mind, that seemed to catch light whenever Neil was involved. 

It was another first that was introduced by Neil. Being impatient was a trait of her personality, however, Neil always deemed her heart to be able to wait. Though, this time she wasn't sure if she could. 

The idea of the owner not being Neil dawned early because he had a husky tone, edged with softness whenever he was speaking to her.

Upon turning back, away from the view of the luxurious house, dwelled in grey and white that was illuminated by the golden lights, she caught sight of a man. He stood tall in view, body mildly bulked up, and eyes that pierced into hers. He smiled, walking forward towards her, hands stuffed in the pocket of his jeans. He had a brown t-shirt tucked into his ripped denim jeans, with a jacket swung over his torso. 

"You are?" Avni was quick to ask, brows furrowed in question.

"Well," he chuckled, scratching the back of his neck, "just someone who is visiting."

"You have to be more specific than that," Avni replied, almost immediately. She really had the nerve to ask someone that, while she herself was in someone else's house, without an invitation.

He scanned the surroundings, and taking in the dimmed light coming from the living room, he hummed. "No one's home. So, I believe, only I can keep you entertained." Avni's grip on her phone tightened, while her face remained stony.

The man offered a handshake, "Shaurya Khanna." 

At the name, Avni's eyes softened. But she huffed seeing the way his hand was hanging in the air, awaiting. What was he waiting for? Upon his confused stare, Avni gestured to her right hand. He gaped, realising, observing her cast for a moment before he retreated his hand back.

"You are quite led by suspicion." He spoke, ignoring the embarrassment from a moment ago. "Not that I mind. I kind of admire it." 

The brusque accent in which he spoke, made Avni believe that he spoke that way very briefly, not quite fluently. And even though Avni wasn't one to observe, she seemed to be doing such more recently. Maybe someone's magic was dawning on her.

"You quite suit him," he mumbled.

"Sorry?" 

"Nothing," he brushed it off with a wave, grinning. "I am assuming you are here to visit Neil. Am I right?" 

Avni was silent for a moment before she responded with, "You can say that." 

"Wow!" He exclaimed. "You are really vague with your answers. Still don't trust me?"

Avni exhaled, "You didn't give me a reason to." 

He laughed, "Fair enough." 

A while later, when Avni was positive of the man's intentions, she followed him to their house's backyard. He had added that the family was out somewhere, and he could keep her company till Neil arrived. She nodded, thinking there would be no harm in joining for a small chit-chat.

Oh, how wrong she had been.

Shaurya was a con-man. Not quite literally. But metaphorically. His warm and affectionate smile deceived her, she really thought she could have a normal conversation for once.

"And, that's why I believe that Thanos did everything for a good cause. His ways are a little bizarre but he's a wise man." He looked genuine. And because Avni didn't want to break his little excitement, she nodded, smiling. "That's actually believable, come to think of it." His eyes shined at the acknowledgement. "I like your mind," Avni slyly smirked, hoping he would get her joke.