46 - subtle sweet

Author's POV

Christmas arrived as early as expected. The rush of the hour was caressed by illuminated lights across streets, churches decorated in glees of joy, the spark of the festival shone on every being.

Mornings deemed for prayers, evenings for celebration of the holy birth, gifts designated for families and friends with a toast to share.

Work came to Neil on a silver platter, his duty rendered great importance because of the inspection of the crowd gathered on streets and maintenance of peace.

He arrived at her residence half past nine, his expression tired - one every working individual could seem to be surrounded with, but his eyes met hers with a smile, genuine and warm.

Conversation flowed easily, having more than something to talk about. It rendered her speechless sometimes, when even an ounce of silence couldn't make space for awkward glances, how a topic could invite itself, and how hours could feel like just a moment.

"...and that's why I'm thinking of it."

"Reminds me of Sherlock Holmes!"

"You can't be serious."

Avni laughed when Neil gave her an unimpressed stare. Then turned away to control the smile that was forcing itself on his face.

"Aha! Don't hide from me."

Neil tried to scoot away as Avni kept invading his space, trying her very best to pry his hands away from his face. She grabbed both of his wrists, eyes gleaming with mirth, an eyebrow raised, like a hunter catching its prey. Gotcha!

"You're comparing my mom with a detective." He stated what he could make of her words, not minding the strong grip he was met with.

"Well, I just made a guess." She shrugged.

"Oh, is that so?" He released his hands smoothly by rolling them and yanking her closer. She fell on his lap, intentionally so, sitting between his legs with a hand resting on his chest, probably toned. The urge to touch that bare was exciting. The thought flew off the window when their eyes met, and Neil uttered something bizarre. "Why don't we arrange a meeting then? See if your hunch is correct?"

"What? No way!" She denied, scoffing, a bit wary of meeting his family, because one way, she wasn't ready. It would feel too real, and reality sometimes was scary.

"Why not? I think Mom will love you." He slid his hands on her back to and forth, drawing patterns, abstract in their own way. "Mom likes movies, and I bet she has seen one of yours if not more." He tilted his head, smiling, a bit hazy. Avni smiled in return, maybe the alcohol was finally settling in his body.

"She likes movies, so she must like characters and their stories. I'm just playing a character. I'm not like that in real life - a rebel, a spy, a researcher, an adventurer or something. I'm just an actor. Have you ever thought of that?"

Neil stayed still for a moment before his frame moved a little forward for another glass of drink. He poured a drink for both of them and handed one glass to her.

She took a sip. "You'll be drunk like that."

"I want to be."