35 - The pictures and the picture

Neil's POV

I stared at her, intensely, studying her gaze that froze upon the screen. Her fingers curled into a fist resting on her side, and her eyes didn't dare to meet mine.

She was avoiding it.

When I received the call, it dwelled on me that there is more to Avni than she is letting me know.

"Sir, I have news."

"Go on."

"There is someone that I've been following these days for Ms. Raichand's case. First, I saw him on occasions where his presence was questioning. But a week ago, she met him."

"By she, who do you mean?" There was no way it was her. I didn't want to believe it. Either she was too naive or maybe something was going on.

"Ms. Raichand, Sir." He paused. "I've sent you some pictures."

I pulled away from the phone, and proceeded to open the attachment. For a moment, I was scared. Scared if there were things I neglected because of my feelings. Scared if there was a dangerous motive behind all of this, if Avni was in a situation, more unpredictable and risky than I imagined it to be.

I clicked on the image, and froze for a second. This was definitely Avni. She had that cast on, her raven black hair curled at the ends, and she was - no way...she wasn't handing over money in that envelope, right? I observed the man, he was disguised in a black hoodie, eyes stiff staring at her as he took it.

My gut invaded with a displeased feeling, I couldn't be this oblivious. But this just confirmed it. Was she acting naive? But there was no way she would let herself get harmed to this extent.

I took a breath, prepared myself for all I was about to hear next as I held the phone close to my ear again. "Information about that man?"

"It's hard to identify him based on just these photos. I've sent those pictures and a few more to check in the database."

"Check in the criminal record."

"Criminal record? Sir, are you-"

"Yes, I am sure. After identifying him, send his information over to me and check his records. Let me know if he is clean."

"Yes, Sir."

I nodded and hanged up.

I stood there, analysing this mess of a situation. I clutched the phone tight, studying the pictures over and over again.

My mind travelled back to what happened minutes ago. I shut my eyes, the frustration taking over me. My fingers automatically found their way to the picture we took on Marine drive.

Her eyes shined, looking at the camera lens with a beaming smile. I was smiling too, our faces close. I remember smiling because of the lame joke she made just before.

I sighed, I have to go back. I can't keep up with it this way. I needed answers, and today, I was going to invade her privacy. I was stuck between not wanting her to be in such a serious situation or if it was true, I didn't want her to just play me.