50 - They like you

Author's POV

The hospital air is saddening, depressed. Two families are standing outside an operating room, waiting.

Krisha had tears in his eyes, she couldn't believe it when she saw Avni like that. So much blood, so many injuries. It reminds her of Abhay, and she sobs throughout. Shweta sits beside her, comforting her, but even her eyes are brimming with tears.

"Mom!"

A few pairs of eyes flit towards the side. Neil is standing there, before he walks closer. His shoulder and arm are accentuated with a cast. Thankfully, as the doctor said, the bullet cut halfway through his shoulder. It could have been critical.

"Neil..." Prakash says, pulling him a soft hug. He caresses his back, "I'm glad you are fine." When he pulls away, Neil plasters a smile on his face.

"How is Avni?" He asks. When they give him pained glances and silence, he moves to look through the glass window of the operating room.

He catches a few glimpses of her. He stares down, head hanging low as his body shook from choked sobs. He palms his face, leaning on the doorframe as the moisture of pain speaks for him. Bebe comes around and rubs his back. "She'll be okay, Neil. You believe in her, right? She is a strong person. She'll make it through." He turns to her and cries in her arms.

Piya looks away, walking a little distance and sitting on the other bench. "Ali... I can't see this. I can't see her like that." She says, and it's obvious she is crying. "It's been three hours, how longer?" She looks at him. Ali just stares. He doesn't have much to offer other than silence and a thin thread of hope he is holding onto. "It'll be alright, hm?" His voice cracks as he leans on her shoulder.

🎬🎬🎬

"Neil..."

"Avni..."

They both stare at each other with fondness.

Avni raises her hand slowly, and touches his face, caressing his cheek. A soft smile lingers on her lips. "I missed you..." she mumbles.

Neil smiles and leans in to softly kiss her cheek. "I miss you, even when you are here."

"Are you okay? What happened?" She looks a little sad as she observes his shoulder.

"Just took a bullet for my girlfriend."

Her eyes open wide. Neil chuckles lightly. "I'm kidding, it was meant to come my way." He brushes her hair to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. "Thank you."

"For what...?" She mumbles. Her voice lacks the usual enthusiasm and it's understandable because of the lack of energy in her body. She has gone through so much.

"For not leaving me." His eyes glisten. "I'm glad you are here with me. Thank you so much."

"I could say the same..." she chuckles before wincing in pain from the pressure on her stomach.

"Does it hurt much?" Neil asks with worried eyes.

She nods. "It feels numb but at the same time like I'm being pinched by needles. It's not a good experience, honestly."

"I'm so proud of you," she feels a peck on her lips. "You fought with all your might. I'm sorry to not be there early."

"I wouldn't be here if you didn't come then." She tilts her head, a faint smile on her lips.

"Come on, get healthy soon." Neil pouts. "I want to hug you so bad."

"What about kisses?" She stares at him, mischievously.