03 - Tears stained cheeks

Author's POV

Neil was busy studying the cases as he went through the files and signed a few things that required authorisation.

"Sir, I talked with lawyer Naksh Sharma and he agreed for a meeting tomorrow," DD informed.

Neil nodded before taking a glance at his watch, "Okay then, I'll get going."

Upon reaching home, Neil was met with Bebe in the living room. "Neil, freshen up and try on the reception suit once and tell me if it needs any altering."

Neil nodded before climbing up the stairs when thought about the marriage crossed his mind. He was contemplating whether this was right; being unsure and still going on with this commitment of a lifetime. Although Aditi asked him about it once and now he may be regretted not telling her.

His trance of thoughts was broken when his phone beeped and a message popped up on the screen.

You have 1 new message from Aditi.

He glanced at the screen before tapping on to read it.

"Call me when you are free :)" The message read, showing the time of message as a quarter past eight.

Is it something important?

Neil was one moment away to go on her contact information and call her but Bebe called him to have dinner. So he ditched the thought and went downstairs, deciding to call her after dinner.

The clock struck 9 and Aditi's phone ranged. She was crossing the road, her attention now on the screen. She chimed as the screen flashed, showing it was Neil, who was calling her.

She was close to swiping the answer gesture as she kept walking to go to the other side of the road.

Without warning, without notice, a car approached her with haste speed hitting her fragile body with a thud. Her head landed straight on the road, her body rolled a few times before it halted and blood oozed out. It was terrifying and almost scary if one would have seen it take place but for Aditi, it was now still. The world seemed to stop, ragged breaths left her mouth. She heard a noise that her ears couldn't property decipher, and then, at one moment her eyes couldn't be more open.

Aditi never picked up Neil's call which made Neil jump to a conclusion that she was busy or she will call her later.

Sadly, the latter came true but not in the way anyone would've wanted.

Neil picked up Aditi's call as he lied on his bed. He spoke, "Hello! Where are you? Were you busy? It's almost 10."

"Hello! This is a call from the city hospital. I am a nurse here, the patient is badly injured, are you perhaps her family?" The nurse asked.

"W-what?" Neil almost shouted, not believing if he heard right. He pulled away his phone to check if he was on the right call.

The next thing Neil heard shook him to the core. He couldn't believe what happened and maybe he wished it was a lie. But he stood up, informed everyone and rushed to the hospital.

Neil peeped through the OT window wanting to catch a glimpse of Aditi. What he saw hurt him, made him gasp as tears stained his eyes.

He saw her figure on the bed with machines besides, her face tainted with blood and a pump of oxygen attached to breathe.

Neil was in utter shock, tears stained his cheeks because he saw someone close to him lying on the death bed which wasn't even the last thing he would've wanted.

"Doctor? Is she...okay?" Neil asked as the doctors came out carrying a pained expression.

"I am sorry-" The doctor started. Neil stepped backwards, his back hit the wall as an ocean of tears fell. He knew what was coming and he wasn't really in a mind to agree.

The doctor continued, "but she lost a lot of blood. She got an internal injury on the left side of her brain. We couldn't save her."

No one knew that they should prepare for the worst. Aditi was no more. By the time Mira reached the hospital, it was already late.

The news broke every one. Mira sobbed continuously until it ripped her apart. Bebe tried to comfort her but it was vain as she herself was heartbroken. There was no way she could say something positive to her because nothing was going back the way it was before.

Mira couldn't handle it anymore. She lost her only daughter, she was her hope and only one whom she was living for. She only wanted her happiness but fate had some other plans.

Neil lost her best friend whom he loved more than anything.

A week had passed and everything that was once right now went wrong. There was a depressing environment in the Khanna house as they came back from Aditi's funeral.

Police were done investigating the hit and run case. They found the CCTV footage and everything about the car driver. He was drunk and lose control. They saw the driver stepping out to see Aditi but he couldn't stand straight and handle himself. Without even calling an ambulance, he flees away. It maybe was a usual day but for some family, it was worse as it snatched a precious one from them.

Neil held his knees close, hugging them as tears made their way from his eyes. "I can't hold it anymore Aditi. Why did you even leave me? I want you here beside me...teasing me, laughing at me...but you are long gone and you are never coming back. I hate it. I fucking hate it. I can't even seem to believe it." Neil screamed in pain, his eyes swollen as he cried, "C-come back A-Aditi," between choked sobs.

Sometimes, there comes a moment in life you never prepared for, and most of the times leave a void, no one could fully recover from then people aren't the same anymore, because the ones that are gone, take a part with them and the other has to take it all alone.

|××××××|

A/N :

Don't drink and drive, or either way do something that could take away a precious one from someone.

If anyone has ever lost a precious one, sending love and more power to you. Remember, they'd want to see you happy :')