05 - Uninvited guest

Author's POV

A pair of eyes slightly opened, blinking again and again, when a light knock on the door was heard. The hands went up to the blanket, pulling it with a slight force. Her body was hidden under the blanket showcasing only her face. Her eyebrows scrunch up after hearing another knock.

"What is it?" She yelled softly, enough to let her voice reach the other person.

"Avni Ma'am, it's me." Someone voiced.

"Yes, I know but what forced you to wake me up this early. It's 6, you are thirty minutes early, Lovely." Avni said out loud, groaning before her legs met the cold floor to go and open the door.

"Someone came to meet you." Lovely, Avni's PA mumbled, gesturing towards the living room.

"Who? Who would even come at this hour?" Her eyebrows marred with confusion.

"He just came to talk with you. I already told him to wait."

Avni nodded, closing the door to freshen up and meet somebody whose identity was unknown to her yet.

His chocolate eyes scanned the surroundings, hoping to catch a glimpse of the person he came to meet. He patience was something to not taken lightly for as he waited for about fifteen minutes. Still not so thoughtful to be an uninvited guest at someone's doorstep, so early in the morning, though.

The footsteps became clear as Avni walked towards the living room in a blue kurta and jeans beneath, hair tied in a ponytail. She glanced towards him and sat in front of him on the sofa, eyeing his posture. His eyes took a glimpse of her demeanour, how she looked, and more probably who she was!

No way, he thought.

He clearly remembered her, her rude way of walking too but he never thought she would be the one.

She helped Aditi...

Avni seemed far from content, her eyes betraying her as a confused look appeared on her features.

Her eyes met with him, checking out his shocked demeanour. She thought about whether she knew him? A familiarity struck her but it was short-lived.

"Hello, why'd you want to meet me?" Avni asked, calm. "Do I know you?"

Neil broke out of his trance, but he sighed as he remembered what he was here for.

" I just came here to thank you." His words couldn't reach Avni's understanding level and Neil knew so he thought to elaborate it for her.

"A few days earlier, you...helped a girl by calling the ambulance. I am thankful to you. I don't know...what to say, but I am just grateful." Neil gulped trying not to showcase his mourning thoughts.

Avni pondered over his words thinking about what he meant. Her days were too busy to remember some all-time passing events, but it wasn't all a blur.

"Oh!" This was all she could mutter after her mind reminded her when she witnessed a terrible accident that may have happened a few moments ago before she reached.

"It is a bit hazy...but I surely remember. It's the least I could do at that moment. " Avni pressed her lips into a smile.

"We investigated the case and found you on the surveillance cameras. Sorry to bother you at this hour, I owe you."

Avni couldn't fathom his words.

What does he mean by investigating the case? She thought.

"Are you the detective on that case?"

"No. I am ACP Neil Khanna, you didn't help the police but helped me." Neil answered.

"Oh, sorry sir. I didn't recognise you due to the absence of your uniform." Avni exhaled. "How is she now?"

"She couldn't survive... unfortunately."

Avni's face dropped after hearing such.

"Then why did you even came to thank me, sir? It doesn't matter, does it?" Avni said bitterly.

"Don't call me sir. I am here to thank you as Neil, not as an ACP." He spoke softly. "You may think your help didn't matter, but it did to me. Your help did matter to her mom and my family. Aditi was someone close to me, my family...you can say. I lost her but your help could've saved her if she in case survived." Neil took a deep breath, his eyes were teary but he blinked it off to not let any tears out.

Avni's heart hurt after hearing those words because the baggage that surrounds your heart was soul-shattering.

"I am sorry sir, um–I mean Neil...I am sorry that it happened to you. I know how it feels, but as time passes only good memories remain and life just...goes on. It's hard to move on but we can't do anything beyond accepting it."

Avni's words somewhere somewhat comforted Neil.

Neil composed himself, "Thank you, I will remember your words, perhaps. The culprit already is behind the bars with a penalty and 3 years sentence in prison."

Avni smiled, agony for the loved one and content for justice.

"Okay, now I gotta go. I have to reach the police station in an hour." Neil stood up, smiling faintly.

"Sorry for bothering you this early in the morning but I have to attend duty later."

Avni smiled meekly. "It's okay sir, I start my day at the same time."

"It's Neil for you unless you are at the police station," Neil said teasingly.

Avni let out a light chuckle. "By the way you look familiar to me."

"Your driver drives bad and you're rude to strangers." Neil retorted. His lips surfaced a grin as he stepped towards the door. Avni blinked at that.

"Maybe see you again?" Neil waved as the doors of the lift closed and Neil's figure vanished from her eyes.

Strange? When did I become rude? She thought, hands on her waist as her inner self lied to her straight.

|××××××|

So who's gonna tell her? 🤭