21 - Jinx

Author's POV

Neil was right, he left her for good. At least that's what he thought. He didn't bother her anymore. Her life was gone back to as it was before. Chaos, but without the chaos of whatever Neil kept doing.

The murder mystery case, the drugs case...he worked on them and solved them as he always does. With willpower and intellect.

The days passed sooner and it was already monsoon. The August weather didn't help the gloomy atmosphere these days either. Two months without him bothering her. But did Avni care? No. Did it bother her? Maybe. Because for once, the image of him being a bad police officer kept fading. She wanted to know what those words meant.

The one who is targeting you, I will surely kill him for you.

For you? Now Avni knew the reason behind all of this, 'I want to protect you' thing.

Dammit, I like you.

Was he serious?

Avni had several confessions resided in her heart. The thing she never cared for. She knew love was something she wouldn't get. Just an attraction or obsession.

But why did he like her? Or perhaps why ever he wanted to protect her. He said he loved her. What was her name? Aditi. Yes, he loved her. Was she a replacement?

Avni bitterly chuckled at her thoughts.

"Avni, what are you thinking about?" Piya piped out, "You seem spacing out? Is it work?"

Avni shook her head with a smile, "It's just... nothing."

"I've been thinking about mom, a lot."

"Are you?"

Avni nodded, a pained smile on her face.

"You could always visit her, or maybe she could," suggested Piya.

"No!," Avni shrieked. "Mom won't ever come here. She shouldn't."

Piya neared, placing her hands on Avni's shoulders. "Sure. I get it. You should go then. I guess you guys haven't met each other in three years." Piya pulled her in a hug, "Isn't it a long time, Avni?"

Avni nodded, tears threatening to fall. "I would but work-"

"Maybe after this movie's shooting is done." She continued.

"Okay." Piya looked up, "Also, I think that day...um, you should really move on from him. I know it's hard but it's been 11 years Avni."

Piya saw Avni being vulnerable and at the edge. "I can't forget him, and I definitely won't forgive him."

"No, that isn't what I am implying Avni. Just move on, from that incident. You have Ali and me. And your mom. And maybe you'll find someone who will love you. You should try dating someone Avni."

"I don't think I'll ever love someone. I just get zoned away. I'll just hurt that person." Avni shrugged, smiling.

"Just like you hurt Vivaan?" Piya asked, staring at her eyes filled with guilt.

"It's okay, it wasn't your fault. People change and that incident changed all of you." Piya grinned, "And anyway, maybe someone will love you even when you have your tough days. Maybe someone won't give up on you even when you are hard to love?"

"That certain someone doesn't exist, Piya."

"It does, definitely. Ali and me. Look at us now. It's been a few years since we started dating. And those first months were hell. We kept misunderstanding each other and making assumptions. You won't know until you give it a chance. If ever someone keens your interest, please make that move. Also, make sure not him being from the entertainment industry. I know you don't like not having privacy."