37 - Blurred lines

Author's POV

When Avni woke up, she didn't expect Neil to be gone.

He was nowhere in sight.

She thought she just missed him. Maybe he was in the bathroom or he could be roaming in the balcony, but all in vain. She checked them all, and to be honest, she didn't like how her stomach dropped with the thought of him leaving.

He could have gone to work, that would be it. However, when she ranged his phone, it will silent after a beep. The anxious feeling seeped, cutting her through and Avni wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. Later then, she found the device that belonged to him by the laptop, switched off.

She huffed, tongue clicking her inner cheek. How unprofessional!

What if something urgent came up? He was so irresponsible for leaving his phone like that, barely charged. He just slept through without a worry? Damn, Avni could only wish. 

If he was going to be gone, he could've atleast woken her up. He could've left a note? Jesus, he didn’t know basic etiquette. It’s been twenty-three minutes since she woke up, and there’s ain't no clue of where he is. Rude.

She wasn't going to wait all day for him to come back from wherever the frick he went.

So, here she was. On the maps, trying to find where exactly he lived. ‘Cause Avni doesn't remember herself coming here, neither does she remember him letting her out to even enjoy the scenery through his balcony. And it was just because he thought her face was a problem. Sure.

“I don’t even remember being this cautious while going out.” She frowned, tilting her face to the side, left hand clutching her phone tightly as she twisted the front doorknob open. Whoo, it opened?! 

“Oh? He didn’t lock me in...” she presumably uttered, lips agape.

To think of it, it didn’t seem like the best idea to leave his apartment just like that. But Avni was Avni, duh. She was unpredictable sometimes, moreover a handful. Well, that’s what Neil thought. But it didn’t matter right now, right? He wasn’t present to watch Avni being at the height of idiocy so, who cares.

Avni thought it would be just like another residence in Mumbai, space compact and people going around, messily without a care in the world. To look through a different perspective, it was better. People just minded their goddamn business.

And when Avni stepped out, she didn’t expect there would be no other flat on the floor. It was just his. Countless thoughts ran in her mind. Was it out of Mumbai? Jesus, they were out of MUMBAI?? What.

She hastily paced her steps, climbing down the stairs. There was no one. Not even one person she caught sight of. How could it be? Well, the thought that she checked the location through the maps– slipped right through. Yeah, talk about being in the right mind. 

The area was enormous, utterly clean and minimalistic, just how his interior was. She didn't catch a single glance of anything misplaced or anyone. Looked like people here really weren't fond of putting their noses in another's life.

Studying everything around, not did it sound like a stupid decision taking the steps again but tiresome too. All hail, whoever invented elevators. So, she pressed the button. She waited and waited, and when it finally reached the floor, she beamed.

Slowly, when it felt like it would open right then and there, she yelped as a swift hand tugged her waist, whisking her away to the back of the wall before she could protest. It was too familiar and deja vu stuck right through.