Epilogue

🎬🎬🎬

It's a Thursday morning, and everyone is seated at the breakfast table. Neil looks up from his plate and says, "Mom, the food is delicious."

Shweta responds with a soft chuckle, "why, thank you."

"What is it? I know you very well," Bebe smiles, a smirk visible on her face.

"What?" Neil cracks a nervous laugh. "It's nothing."

"But actually–"

Neil's father laughs, and shares a knowing grin with Shweta and Bebe.

Regardless, Neil continues, "I wanted to share something with you all. It's been a while but I wanted to be certain before telling you."

Shweta nods, indicating that she is actively listening.

"I'm in a relationship with Avni." He says this while biting his lower lip and frowns at the lack of response from his family, who appear to be eating casually. "Did you hear what I said? I said that I am dating Avni. She is my girlfriend." Exasperated, he lets out a low rumble.

"Is that all there is to it?" Shweta puzzledly lifts her brow.

"We were well aware," Bebe adds as she takes a sip of orange juice.

Neil's brain short circuits at this point. How did they find out if he never told them? Was it Avni's mother? But she had simply indulged him in a conversation in which she told him it was time he told his family. Which appeared to take forever due to what had occurred previously, but he felt now to be the appropriate time.

"It's not like anything's ever hidden," Prakash mutters in a playful tone. "You aren't the only detective in this house."

Shweta grins while eating another morsel from her plate. "You were obvious enough since the day we had lunch together."

"Well, one thing I'm sure of," Bebe says solemnly, "That girl... Avni! She's an excellent actor. If it hadn't been for you, her act would've paid off."

"You can bet on it." Shweta chuckles, passing a funny glance to Prakash. "Good thing, he's a cop then."

Neil scoffs, rolling his eyes, but soon succumbs to the joke and laughs with them.

"So, do you approve?"

"Approve what?"

"Our relationship!"

"Do parents even have any say these days?" Shweta squints her eyes at Neil.

"Mom! I'm serious."

"Introduce her properly next time. Then we'll tell you." Bebe teases.

"Bebe..." Neil's voice has a drawl to it. "She's in pain."

"You're not?" Shweta huffs in disbelief.

"She's more." He argues.

"Wow! Notice how quickly you're making excuses."

Prakash chuckles and gets up from his seat, drawing attention to himself. "You guys continue. I'm headed to the office."

"Wait! I'll come with you, Dad."

"Where to, Mister? Don't you have days off?"

"Yeah, drop him off at Avni's place. Where else?" Shweta says, her eyes narrowed. "It's where he spends the majority of his free time."

Neil has the audacity to blush, which surprises everyone a little. "Because I'm hurt and all," he says, and follows after his father.

Shweta begins taking plates from the table after their car pulls away and both Shweta and Bebe finish their dinner.