14 - Someone is here

Neil's POV

The way she scrunched her brows and clicked her inner cheeks, I knew she was definitely irritated or perhaps I was wrong. She was angry.

"Please stop interfering in my personal life. I have to work hard these days and I am having a headache. You being here, clearly doesn't help." She fumed.

"You may not know the danger, but I do. And this is for your safety. Nothing else." I retorted.

"I will head out to keep a check," DD told me before he walked out to the outsides.

"I will repeat. Stop interfering or else..."

I raised a brow. "It's not like you will file a report on the police for police?" I questioned.

"I will if there's a need." She blurted out.

"What will you file which makes an issue that important to be handled?" I paused to look at her.

"Oh, I see. You will clearly file something like, 'A police officer is interfering in my personal life by helping me out getting my men's background checked and trying to keep me safe.' Isn't it?"

She looked at me with disbelief.

"Because if that, then it doesn't make any sense Ms Raichand. And by saying that, the conclusion is, you have no choice but to co-operate with us as keeping the citizens safe and sound is our duty."

She didn't utter a word after that. But she wasn't in my sight because I vividly remember her walking back to her room in a frustrated mood.

I just want you to be safe. Even if it means, you resent my ways for it.

"Sir, these three are suspicious. I don't think we have a say in who Ms Raichand hires. What is the next step then?" DD approached me with the documents.

"Well, don't worry about that. Just keep people who are trustworthy and rest you know the procedure, right." I stated and DD nodded as he went on talking with them about it.

Stuff went on in the police station as usual. Numerous reports being filed while we have a lot of cases pending. Out of which, the most important ones are related to him. I need to get him behind the bars before things get out of hand. I can't rush it for people's life may be at stake. And that includes Avni's too.

It was almost midnight, a few hours passed and there was a sheer silence before I heard chaotic blabbering in the police station.

A guard appeared before me, "What is it?"

"S-someone is here to see you." He stuttered.

"Might as well tell me who?"

"She's the actress from the movie Nightfall."

I felt frustrated. "You must have asked the name right. Tell me–" Before I got my words out, it clicked.

Is it? Avni?

"Send her in," I ordered tilting my head.

"Yes sir."

I saw her walking in stiffly giving me a different look I couldn't comprehend properly.

She sat in front of me before she spoke. "Look, I don't know what you are up to..and I don't even want to know. But I need to tell you this. I know where this is coming from. All this helping thing, it wouldn't have started if I haven't help that girl, that day. You have thanked me and that's enough for me. I don't intend to hurt your feelings but please stay out of my life. You are making it hard for me to be sane right now. You made some of my workers quit jobs and some bodyguards that are really good at their jobs and that too without my permission. I went for my ad shoots early after our chat and when I come back I see everything is messed up."

I would've been lying if I said that it didn't hit me in the gut. A mere mention of Aditi and it brings back all the memories and for sure they weren't happy at all.

The accident and her being gone was too much to handle. More difficult for her mom, but it isn't easy for me to get over her. I spent more than 7 years with her, getting used to her annoying chatting all along. She was there with me since we met in our college days. A best friend who meant more than anything to me. I miss her a lot. Since that day, I have cried myself to sleep but it is getting better as I am trying to accept the harsh truth.

"Are you listening?" She repeats herself.

"Yes, I am." I paused to not let the tears make their way out of my eyes. I cupped my face, sniffing I looked back at her with a straight face.

"I understand this may be irritating for you but for once, trust me. I won't repeat myself and I am not doing this for returning the favour for your help either." I answered swallowing down the tightening feeling that was caught up in my throat.

"It would've been a reason if she was alive right now, but she is not. And I would request you to don't bring her into this matter." I gulped before continuing.

"This is... different and this is a professional matter related to someone I need to arrest and put behind the bars. People's lives are at stake right now because of that person and this isn't a game Avni. You are unsafe and I will protect you anyhow. I don't care what you think but don't try to stop me because that isn't gonna help." I stammered glancing at her.

"This is total shit. Nor do I trust you and neither your system. You do what you want and stop bothering me by doing such things." She said bitterly in a low tone and left.

This is gonna be hard with her being this stubborn. I don't care if you trust me or not Avni but I will protect you, whatever it takes.

|××××××|

A/N:

Vote if you are craving pizza like me :')
I haven't eaten since March...:-\
How am I even alive?