49 - Betrayal of a friend

⚠️ C/T Warning ⚠️
Implied/Referenced Drug Use,
Mentions of Past Deaths,
Violence, Blood, Guns, Strong Language,
Mentions of drug rackets.
Implied/Referenced Death,
Disturbing Graphic Themes.

- I'll keep it as brief as possible, but some details have to be added.

Author's POV

Uncertainty. It's something Avni's currently feeling; dim lights, sheer silence and the lack of any sort of familiarity with the surroundings is what makes her sort of breathless. A certain fog is clouding her mind, urging her to surface over the seeming mist and surge over the sky to look down upon the city as she sways in the bubbles born through water vapours. Maybe, it's kind of being high, she thinks.

She can't make sense of things. Last, she remembers, Lovely had been with her. Maybe, it's selfish but he isn't someone who she currently wishes to see desperately. Instead, she craves a familiar presence with a certain pair of arms wrapping around her waist to comfort her, soothe her.

There's something unnerving about the room she is in, the soft bed sheets do nothing to ease her mind. She wants to move her frame, get out of the bed, but her legs are like solid metal that doesn't budge away from force. She hasn't much left. Exhaustion is creeping up and it's not long before darkness surrounds her.

"Avni..." God, it's his voice.

Avni breathes out, squinting her eyes open to look at him. He is smiling as he offers her his hand. Avni tries, she really does, but all she lets out is a faint groan of exhaustion, immobile in her place. Neil's staring at her with expectation, "Come on, we don't have time." Avni shakes her head, fighting the urge to cry because she can't feel her body, it's numb. "Neil..." It's a whisper.

"Avni Raichand, wake up!" A splash of water is thrown at her face, and she instantly jumps in place. She shivers through the cold, sees through dazed eyes and finds a man staring at her. The voice...it is familiar.

Before she could make any assumption and voice out, the man grabs her forearm. The grip is so harsh, she lets out a pained whimper. The man drags her off the bed and onto the floor. She stands on wobbly legs before she falls down. No, it can't be. It couldn't be. "What did you do to me?" She peers up at him with a glare.

"I haven't even done anything." He smiles and crouches down, and it's then Avni recognises the face.

"You..." Her eyes widen. "What's this? Why am I here? Why are you doing this to me?" She tries to yell but her throat is dry, it comes out hoarse, choked up.

"All of this is for a greater purpose, Avni Raichand." He takes out a remote-like device from his pocket. He flashes it in front of her eyes. "Boom!" He laughs and then stands up, only to disappear.

"Come back! Goddamn it." Avni shouts, it doesn't hold much power. "What did you inject me with?"

It's several minutes later, she isn't sure of the time, when two men drag her out into the large living room. It looks like a hotel room, posh in its habitat.

"We have a few things planned for you." The man chuckles. "But first, let me introduce myself properly." He grins then, it's crooked much like his personality. "Hi! I'm Vidyut R, CEO of VR Industries."

Avni grunts through the ropes they have tightly secured around her arms. "What do you want from me? I don't even know you."

"Oh, I bet." He smirks. "We met at the Hall of Fame? Remember. I even gave you my card." He pouts. "Don't tell me you forgot me just like that."