/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑤𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑦 𝑠𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛/

The next morning was exhausting. As soon as I got home from the beach I went straight to bed. I even forgot to call George. My hair was still in a ponytail and was now knotted up. My body wasn't even full on on the bed when I woke up either. All the dancing and laughing with everyone wore me out. Events from last night flashed in my mind. The mall, the beach, George
meeting everyone, telling Niki I wanted to fly out Florida.... shit.

Do I even have the money? Will they even let me fly alone? I mean I'm almost 18 so maybe. What will my mom think? I'll just say it will only be a week. She'll be fine with it.. right?

I sat up and immediately regretted it. My head pounded and my eyes were all dizzy. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to regain my consciousness and finally stand up from the bed.

The creak from the floorboards returned as I walked across towards the door. Distant talking and commotion could be heard downstairs. I hesitated going down there, I still wanted to avoid mom. But I'm hungry and tired so fuck it.

As soon as I got into the kitchen everyone quieted down and looked in my direction. I felt my face get red uncomfortably and reached for some breakfast bars. I listened as my aunt and cousins footsteps disappeared down the hall and up the stairs, leaving me alone with mom.

"Are you trying to apologize again? Because I'm not gonna listen." I sighed, breaking the silence.

"Look honey, I wasn't feeling the best that day and the words just spilled out of my mouth, I'm sorry." She sighed, kneading her knuckles against the counter.

"But you meant what you said? Maybe you didn't mean to say it but you truly believe it's my fault huh?" I scoffed, shaking my head in disbelief.

"No! Of course not!" She pleaded.

"Okay mom." I nodded sarcastically.

"Why can't you just be grateful." She groaned, running her hands down her face.

I looked up from my spot, my back turned to her. I set the box of bars back in the cupboard  and closed it with a slight slam. I'm so fucking done with her shit.

"I'm buying a plane ticket to Florida." I blurted, snapping my head around to meet hers.

"What?"

"I'm buying a plane ticket to Florida." I repeated, making sure to put emphasis in each word.

"Why? Why would you leave?" She asked, tears forming at her eyes.

"It's not forever, maybe for a week or two. It's better for the both of us."

"But what about your father? You could be in danger!" She complained.

"Mom. I've been dealing with him for my whole life, Im almost 18 years old. I can take care of myself. It's what i've been doing the past five years."

She stared back at me with worry. Her lips pulled into a stupid frown and her eyebrows creating wrinkles on her forehead.

"Thanks for the chat." I said, taking my breakfast and heading back down the hallway and up to my room.

I couldn't even look at her the same. The caring mother I once had was now just a selfish bitch. I almost cried at the thought. A memory flooded inside my brain as I closed the door behind me.

"Y/nnn what's wrong honey?"

She poked her head under the covers as I hid in the darkness, away from the storm outside. My body shook as the thunder crashed, booming against the house.

"Come here." She smiled, grasping onto me gently and pulling me into her lap.

We rocked back and forth on the bed, my small body close up against her chest, listening as she hummed a slow tune.