/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑣𝑒/

A knock at the door made my eyes shoot open. I stared around the room trying to find where the noise was coming from. The tired state I was in made me hear weird things. I thought the knocking was coming from the walls but then soon I felt embarrassed.

"Come in." I sighed realizing someone was just at my door and there weren't monsters in my walls.

"Hey hun, wanted to check on you, you've been sleeping in a lot lately." My mom said quietly while stepping into my room and sitting down on the bed with me.

"Yeah I'm fine, just been tired. No big deal." I lied.

"Okay, well you should finish up your school work, you have school tomorrow don't forget."

"Okay mom, I'll go to the town library and get my work done."

"Okay... Oh my god Y/n! Your PC! What did you do?!" My mom gasped, covering her mouth as she stared at the shattered glass everywhere on my desk.

My mind started to panic, I didn't know what to say. Should I tell her the truth? Should I lie and give an excuse? My face turned white and my head started spinning.

"Um.. I.. uh."

"Y/n answer me, please!" She demanded. She was staring at me with a mix of anger and concerned expression.

"I just raged at a game mom its ok, I'll pay for another one, I should be getting a job soon." I assured her. I knew it was the dumbest lie but I faked a smile anyway trying to hold back the tears. I fidgeted with my fingers looking down at them to avoid eye contact.

It was silent for a bit until she broke it, "Ok well I want you to clean this up and take better care of your things ok? This is completely unacceptable." She said getting ready to walk out.

"Yeah, I'll make sure mom." I said faking a smile.

After she walked out I sighed and slumped back on my back pillow. I laid there staring at the ceiling. How has my mom not noticed the behavior in my dad lately. How has she not noticed the late nights of my dad coming home stumbling all over the place, slurring his words, passing out on the couch even. Is this just a normal thing to her? The only side she hasn't seen of him was the side I've seen.

Deciding to finally get up. I grabbed a trash bag and began putting the glass shards in it. Everything was completely smashed. After cleaning most of it up I got dressed and ready for the day.

I got dressed in a plain blue cropped tank top and wore a pair of black leggings. I layered it with a dark blue zipped sweatshirt and dangled some necklaces around my neck.

I left my hair down in it's wavy state and put on some light makeup. I waved my mom good bye and started down the sidewalk towards the public library.

It was about a 15 minute walk, It was a nice day out too, clear sky, little to no clouds. The temperature was around 70 degrees. Typical for Florida in the fall.

I walked up the big cement statues and into the entrance doors. The temperature inside was cooler than outside so I was relieved a bit. I found my way to the back behind all the bookshelves. A small table with an outlet on the wall, perfect.

I set my laptop on the table along with my notebook and pencils. I began writing notes I needed for language arts, math, and some of the social studies notes George and I missed the other day.

About an hour in, familiar voices echoed through the walls. I looked up and leaned sideways in my chair to see down the narrow hall of bookshelves.

George was scanning through the shelf with Clay and Nick goofing around by him. George looked annoyed with the two considering it looked like they were making fun of him for picking out a Harry Potter novel.