/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒/

George's Pov

-

I sat silently, staring at my feet dangling off the cushioned chair. The clicks of pens, the faint conversations on the overhead TV. My mum sat next to me, flipping through her magazine, chewing on her nails. Whenever I see my mum get anxious, I tend to get anxious too.

"It's okay sweetie, we should be able to see her soon." She smiled, cupping my cheek softly, gliding her thumb over my faint freaked on my pale skin.

My grandma was in the room down the hall. Living off of a machine. I haven't visited her once since she's been here. I've been too scared. I didn't want to think about the fact that she was leaving soon.

"Mr and Mrs Davidson? She's ready." A doctor announced quietly, holding a clipboard in his hands.

My mum helped me off the chair, holding my small hand through the waiting room and down the hall slowly. I could feel my small heart beating faster and faster the farther we went down. The overhead lights flickered, the dim yellow scattering against the tile flooring.

"Are you ready big guy?" My dad asked, kneeling down to eye level with me.

I peered past his shoulder, glancing at my grandma on her bed through the mirror. She looked as if she already passed, but the monitor still beeped.

"I-I don't know." I stuttered, my knees felt numb, I wanted to run but there was no where else to go in this hospital.

"C'mon son, you're better than this. This might be the last chance." He said, a dissapointed frown appearing over his lips.

"I can't-" I choked on my words. Tears began falling from my eyes, dripping down my cheeks.

"Georgie cmon." My mom said in the doorway, her eyebrows pulled into a worried expression.

I glanced over to her lifeless body, my heart sinking down to my feet. Her head turned slowly, her eyes opening. She matched her gaze with mine, a small smile forming over her cracked lips. I couldn't do it. I don't know what words I want to say. I don't want to say goodbye. It's too soon. She can't leave.

"I can't, I'm sorry." I cried, turning around and running back down the hall. My little legs carried me through the endless halls, turning unknown corners, dodging unknown people.

My lungs eventually gave out, I stumbled across the cool tile. With the tears still streaming down my cheeks, I scooted up close to the wall, bringing my knees close to my chest.
I sat there, huddled up sobbing into my knees, ignoring any worried adult that passed by.

"George! There you are!" My dad sighed with relief, rushing over to my side.

"Leave me alone."

"George what has gotten into you? Every single visit you decide to run away, what's goin on bud?" He sighed, rubbing my back.

"Please just leave me alon-" I repeated but a nearby doctor cut me off.

"Me Davidson? Your mother.." She began.

"Fucks sake." He said under his breath, standing up and rushing back down the hall with the doctor, leaving me alone.

I got my wish didn't I. But she's gone. The one who stayed with me through it all. Even when I told her I wanted to be alone, she never left.
I lost my only chance.
To tell her how much I appreciated her.
I have nothing.
No one.
I'm alone.