/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑓𝑖𝑓𝑡𝑦 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒/

Pale white stains my knuckles. My hands gripped onto the steering wheel, holding on for something. Everything is shaking, my arms, my legs, my heart, everything. My car is parked in the airport parking garage, no other cars could be seen on this floor.

I want to go back. I want to go see George. But I can't bring myself to put the keys back in the ignition. It's only 7pm, the sun is still out but barely there. Behind the hundreds of rain clouds, the palm trees, behind everything there's a sun. No matter what there's always gonna be a sun. But right now, I feel like that's not the case. Darkness is consuming me.

I got out from the car, my numb feet touching the hard pavement. The air is humid with light rainfall now. The soft sound of rain could be heard outside the walls of the parking garage. My breath hiccups as I walk for the stairs. My eyes longing for some kind of light. But the only thing showing me where to go is the dim glow of the overhead lights. A sad yellow glow.

I reach into my pocket, dialing someone's number I might regret. Holding it to my ear, I fear for the line to pick up.

"Y/n?" His voice said quietly.

"Clay, I need someone right now.." I whispered, hiding the sobs that wanted to break through.

"Where are you? I'm on my way."

"The airport."

"What are you doing at the- Doesn't matter. I'm coming."

I hung up the call and broke down into sobs. I had reached the roof of the parking garage. Climbing the same ladder George showed me. Sitting on the platform George took me to. I look out at the gloomy city. It's not so vibrant and colorful anymore. Just grey with the same sad yellow glow speckling all over the buildings.

I don't want to end things with George. He saved me in ways he can't imagine. But I couldn't be in the same room at the time. I needed time away. I plan on going back.
Soon.
I just need time.

The soft rain that fell on my head stopped abruptly. A dark shadow hovering over me.

"Y/n, why are you up here?" Clay said softly, sitting down beside me, still holding his umbrella over us.

He was in plaid pajama pants and a black hoodie. His hair was wet and messy over his forehead. He was panting, as if he had ran here.

"Thankyou." I whispered, wrapping my arms around his neck and hugging him tight. He was hesitant at first but slowly wrapped his arms around me, dropping the umbrella and held me close.

He didn't say anything. He just let me cry silently on his shoulder, rubbing my back assuringly. My hand clutched onto his hoodie, my tears staining the material. I listened to his heartbeat against his chest. Slow and steady. The world around me feels slow. Slowly dropping cold raindrops among our heads. The slow painful stabbing I felt in my back. Time felt slow. Dragging on each minute until I longed for the next.

"Are you ready to talk about it?" He asked quietly.

"It's George- He.." I coughed on my words, unsure about everything. "I don't fucking know Clay." I muttered, allowing the tears to slowly fall from my cheek.

"Tell me what happened, it's okay." His arm pulled me close, resting his chin on my head.

After a few moments of thinking, I told him about what Delilah said, the picture, the lies, everything. I couldn't stop whatever was pouring out of my mouth. I didn't know if it was true. I didn't know if I was confessing the correct story.