/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑒𝑒𝑛/

The car ride to the fair was about 15 minutes across town. The closer the car got, the more intense the popcorn smell became. Clay and Lily were in the front while the rest of us were stuffed in the back.

Clay parallel parked on the side of the sidewalk, he wasn't the best at it, but we eventually got there. Next to our parking space was a railing that had a beautiful view of a river over it.

Hanging lights dangled over the streets of downtown. They weren't lit up considering it was around six and the sun hasn't gone down yet.

The walk down to the gates was quite peaceful actually. The sounds of distant laughter and music filled the streets. The shops besides us consisted of clothes, souvenirs, and other stuff.

Clay, Lily, Nick and Jamie were behind George and I. They were all joking and laughing about stuff while George and I had a small conversation about trees.
Yes.
Trees.
I don't know how this topic came up, but it did.

He claims that pine trees are the best kind, but I claim that oak trees are the best.

"Pine trees are way better than a boring oak tree."
"Pine trees are the most bland tree there is."
"Give me one reason why oak trees are better."
"I'll give you a few, first of all they're a decent size for climbing, second of all they can change colors throughout the year, which is beautiful, and finally, they're leaves have a pretty shape while pine trees are just a plain needle."

He rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"Here's some reasons why a pine tree is better." He smirked.

"First of all, the shape of the tree is such an elegant feature, second of all, the pine cones are a perfect tool to throw at your friends, and third of all, the tree will never go bare, it keeps its needles all year long."

Honestly I wasn't listening to half of what he said. I just stared at him admiring his annoyed face. The way he tried to argue his claim and give his reasonings just felt so calming.

He began snapping in front of my face so I could zone back in.
"Were you listening to any of that?"
"Oh, uh, yeah."
"So you get what I'm saying because I'm right."
"Yeah, sure."
He laughed proudly and skipped ahead in front of me. He motioned me to hurry up my pace and catch up with him.

"Look! we're here!" George excitedly said while running up to the gates, dragging me behind him.

We each bought our tickets and stepped in the gated fair. Food stands were lined up next to each other with mini games scattered around the area. The rides peaked over the tents with their bright neon colors. But one thing that caught my eye was a large colorful ferris wheel in the middle of the park. Funnel cakes, popcorn, ice cream, and other treats filled my senses which made my stomach mad.

As I was admiring the view, George came up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist and hugged me from behind.

"What should we do first?" He whispered into my ear.
I smiled and pulled his arm behind me towards a funnel cake stand.

"I've never had one of these."
He said while inspecting the pastry in his hands.
I almost choked on my bite as his words came out.
"What do you mean you've never had one of these?!" I said playfully punching his arm.
"I don't know! I have never seen one of these in my life!"

"Oh my god George just take a bite."
He carefully picked it up and licked a tiny part of it. He seemed to enjoy the powdered sugar part. Finally he took a bite and his eyes immediately lit up.

"This is amazing!" He said with food in his mouth.

I laughed at how fast he was eating it.
"Slow down, you're gonna throw up on a ride." I said in between wheezes.

He threw his empty plate in a nearby trash can and smiled at me proudly.
I rolled my eyes playfully and wiped powered sugar off the side of his lips.

-

The whole crew decided to go on one of those swing rides. We waited in the line for what felt like forever. George kept whining for how his feet hurt while Clay and Nick just kept telling him to shut up.

Finally, it was our turn to get on. The swings were arranged in rows of two. Me and George took the first two, Jamie and Nick took the ones behind us and Lily and Clay took the third row.

Our feet left the ground as the swings started lifting up towards the sky. I shook George's arm excitedly while babbling about the ground and how far it was. George just kept laughing at my excitement.

Once we got to the top, the whole city was in view. The different lights and colors filled my eyes as I looked around. I turned to see George looking at me with a stupid smile.

"What?" I laughed.
"Nothing." He said with a  smug grin.
I gave him a puzzled look as he just continued staring at me with soft eyes.

All my curiosity soon faded as the ride started spinning. It wasn't a peaceful spin, It was pretty fast considering we were basically sideways in our swings.

I gripped the handles tightly until my knuckles turned white. As my hair blew into my face I looked over to see George screaming his head off. His eyes were closed tightly while the little girl trapped in his throat escaped. I couldn't help but laugh. It almost looked like he was going to cry.

I turned around to see the others laughing and having a good time. Although Clay looked a little uneasy himself.

Finally the ride stopped and we were let back down to the ground. George basically threw his seatbelt off and ran out to a nearby trash can. He gripped the sides and ducked his head inside. I don't really wanna explain what I heard, but all I'll say is that it wasn't pretty.

George's face was completely red as well as his eyes glaring at Clay and Nick, who were both laughing their asses off, creating a even bigger crowd.

I looked around me to find a stand selling water. I quickly bought one and rushed over to him trying to hold in my laugh.

He quickly snatched the water from my hands and took several gulps before finally wiping his mouth and closing the cap.

"Not a fan of rides eh?" I smiled.
"Oh shut up." He muttered with a small grin.

"Well that was attractive big guy" Nick laughed while slapping George's back and pulling him into a noogie.

The rest of the time there we spent playing mini games and eating some different treats. George kinda sucked at most of the shooting ones so I ended up winning a stuffed animal myself and giving it to him as a gift. Clay of course had a billion different prizes to which he gave to Lily. Nick won one of the ring toss games and won a creeper plushee. Let me tell you how happy this guy got. His smile was so wide you could probably see it from across the park.

We all agreed that we were getting tired so we decided to call it a night and go home.

Lily got too tired to walk so Clay carried her on his back as we walked back to the car. On the walk back, all the hanging lights from before were lit up and illuminated downtown with a dim yellow glow. I looked over the railing again and noticed something different about the river. Tiny lights were moving with the current. I squinted to look closer and noticed several row boats with couples and friends rowing down the slow stream.

I pointed it out to George And he looked interested.
"Hey guys, you think we could catch up with you guys at the house later? I think we're gonna stay out a bit longer." George said as they were piling into the tiny car.
"Yeah, you two have fun" Nick smiled while holding his creeper tightly.

George and I smiled at each other and began our walk down the half empty street, admiring the pretty lights around us.