/𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑖𝑥𝑡𝑦 𝑡𝑤𝑜/

Y/n's pov
(Last chapter. Read with the song above if you'd like/The night we met by Lord Huron)

I sat silently in my car, the world outside dark with little to no clouds visible. Just the endless mass of stars and the unknown.
It's been a week.
I don't know how I made it this far without him, but he told me to move on. To live my life. I cant break that promise even though it's hard. I should've been there. I should've been there with him the whole time. The constant blame I put on myself. The blame that will hold Delilah in jail.

I was parked on the grassy hill he took me to a while back. The "special spot".
The radio quietly played the song, "The Night We Met", the same song we listened to the first time we came here.

i am not the only traveler

He said he came here to calm down, collect his thoughts but every second I spend here is just a constant flashback of the memories we shared.

I glance to the side, the flower book filling in the passenger seat. The pain doesn't stop. My heart felt completely drained, my bones felt numb but I could somehow still move them.

It's the pain I felt during his funeral. I could barely get out of bed that morning. His parents sat next to me. His father comforting me while his mother cried into her hands. Karl and Alex flew over for it too, tears stained their cheeks, their eyes red from the exhaustion.

It was Clays face when he first found out.

I wish I could erase the memory of his reaction because every time it comes to mind I feel the need to break into tears.

Crying in pure agony, falling to his knees as he held his face in his shaking hands. The words he mumbled, "Please", "Not yet", "It can't be true".
The trembling spreading throughout his whole body as he sobbed hopelessly. I watched as the happy and outgoing Clay I knew, simply vanished. I don't know how or when it will come back.

I opened the car door, bringing the flower book with me in my clammy hands. The music from the radio echoed throughout the lonely field I thought couldn't get any more lonelier.

Take me back to the night we met

I fell to my knees on the wet grass in front of the tall oak tree. The flower book rested beside me, carefully collecting dew from the blades of grass. I cupped the two rings in my palms, watching as the shine from my headlights bounced off the surface of the silver.

With tears crawling down my cheek, my lips pulled into a guilt filled frown. I carefully placed the flower book into a small box I had brought along, making sure it fit perfectly into each corner of the wooden box.

I want to go back to this night, where we watched the stars until there were no more to count. When I became his, and he became mine, we connected lips, dragging our whole hearted selves towards each other until it felt there was no more room. The way he cupped my jaw, his soft smell staining a scent in my mind that I can't ever forget. Sweet lavender.

"I'm sorry George.." I whispered weakly, the tears falling into the crevasse of my lips.

I slid my own ring onto my ring finger, taking his in between my fingers.

I love you
I promise I do
The words of the note flashed endlessly in my mind.

"I know that George, I promise I love you too." I closed my eyes, placing the cold ring over my lips, kissing it lightly before tossing it into the box.

I dug a small hole a few feet deep with a small shovel I brought. The ground was soft from the rain so it didn't take long.
After placing the box into the hole, covering it back up with dirt, I sat back, allowing the rain to fall on my head, running down my shoulders.

-

"I love you."

I couldn't help but smile brightly. He said it. He said the words I wanted to say the day I met him.

Before I could even respond with an I love you back he pulled me into another kiss. This time it felt like time had stopped. The whole world vanished and we were the only ones alive. My  emotions and feelings formed into the movement of my lips.
The moon towered over us creating a romantic effect. I pulled away slowly and leaned my forehead on his, closing my eyes.

"Promise you won't leave me?" I whispered.

"What do you mean?" He asked quietly, picking my chin up to look at him.

"Promise you won't leave me." I repeated trying to fight back the sudden tears.

"I promise Y/n. I promise I will never leave you, I promise I won't get hurt in any way, I'll always be here for you."

-

You promised.