0.6 - Caught Red Handed

"Do you ever get used to it?" Noelle asks softly, doing my makeup as the woman behind me adds product to my hair.

"Get used to what?" I respond, not opening my eyes as she packs eyeshadow onto them.

"The attention, the questions... all of it, I guess." She speaks again and I let out an inaudible sigh, but I doubt she didn't notice my shoulders fall.

Noelle is a nice person, she's just a follower. She's gorgeous, I can't deny that, but she's never one to step out and do something because she wants to. She always does stuff because she has to.

If someone were to tell her that the sky is green and sweet tea is supposed to be clear, she would agree without a second thought.

She's scared of being the odd one out.

That's where I come in, I take the first step so she can follow. Most of the time she doesn't, though.

"Not really," I answer her question quietly, scared of what Jeff would say if he heard me from the other room. "I mean Abe lightens the blow but it still hits me every once in a while. It might hit me often, but it doesn't hurt any less."

I open my eyes and look up at her, a sympathetic smile on her face as tears fill her eyes.

"Despite hearing the harsh words everyday, they still hurt, I'm still a kid." I continue, turning my eyes away from hers. "I guess that's what hurts the most, I want to continue being a kid but this life prohibits that. I'm forever grateful for the opportunities I have, I just wish it wasn't strictly business."

She pulls me into a tight hug without warning, before pulling away and gently cupping my face in her hands.

"You're beautiful, Margo," She looks down at me, reassuring me quietly. "You turn heads when you walk into a room and that's amazing. You deserve the world, okay? Don't let anyone tell you different."

Her words make me smile, despite me being slightly distracted by her features.

Tonight she decided to wear a light smokey-eye for the party and a dark green dress. Her hair is in it's natural afro and she's wearing a set of gold jewelry.

She looks ethereal, like a goddess.

Before either of us can finish the conversation, Jeff claps loudly, causing me to flinch.

"The guests will be here any minute!" He calls through the house, turning to me with a smile. "You look great, the dress is upstairs, you should go get ready before people arrive."

I look around, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Where's Abe? We can't start the party without him." I stand up from my seat, my curls falling in front of my shoulders.

"He's out, he'll be back soon. Go get ready." Jeff urges me and I look to Noelle for backup. She gives me a look as if to say 'sorry I can't defend you because I'm scared of him.'

"Fine, but if you try to start the party without Abe I'm going to be very upset."

———

"I've got it!" I call out, attempting to speak over the music.

The house is filled with tipsy adults, most of which came here to see Jeff rather than me.

I make my way through the crowd, finally reaching the door. I place my hand onto the handle and suck in a deep breath, silently hoping Abe is on the other side.

I swing the door open with a smile, which instantly falters as soon as I come face to face with a blonde boy who's tie is crooked.

"Sorry we're late, I'm the only one here right now. The others are over there." He points to their yard and I notice three guys stumbling over themselves.