3.8 - Dead Girl Walking

"Where are my pills?" I hurriedly push our belongings around as Koleton enters the room from his shower.

"I'm sorry?" He furrows his eyebrows with a smile on his face.

"My pills, Koleton!" I turn to him, my heart beating like a bass drum in my ears. "I need to take them because I've forgotten to take them the past thirty-six hours and if I don't find them then I'll-"

Before I can finish my explanation, Andrea appears in the doorway behind him.

"I need you two to come and help me. Meemaw got her car stuck in the driveway again." She quickly stated before disappearing just as fast as she appeared.

"We can find your pills first, then go help." He sets the towel down, thankfully being fully clothed.

"No, it's fine. We can just go help Meemaw then come back in here. I'll be fine." I push past him, causing him to grab my arm.

"Promise?" He holds up his pinky and I shift my glance between him and his finger.

"Yeah."

———

"Meemaw, how did this even happen?" Phoenix shovels the snow away from the small car as Meemaw pokes her head out the window.

"This is the fourth time this week." Andrea groans, handing a shovel to me as I approach the scene.

"I'm telling you, that god damn nun cursed me! It wasn't even her parking spot, it was mine!" Meemaw argues as I begin shovelling the snow with Koleton and Phoenix.

"Meemaw, the nun didn't curse you and it said that the parking space was specifically for the nuns!" Stevie argues as she breathlessly pushes the car, making no progress in moving it.

"I know black magic when I see it, and someone hexed me." Meemaw huffs, looking back at us. "I just have to find out who."

"Meemaw, the whole town hates you because you can't keep your mouth shut to save your life. Finding out who 'hexed' you is going to be like finding a needle in a hay stack." Koleton's dad groans, shoving the car.

"Shut up, why do you have Margo out here? She's a super star not a slave." Meemaw snaps, her voice fading in and out.

My head begins to spin and a wave of nausea washes over me like a wave-pool.

Koleton stops shovelling and looks at me like I just got stabbed. "Are you okay?"

As soon as I open my mouth to respond, I feel my limbs go limp, my body falling onto the ground.

———

Dying doesn't feel like you would expect it to. It doesn't hurt. It just, happens.

The last few moments of consciousness that I remember were filled with everyone screaming.

Some of them were calling my name while others were just screaming in fear. It shocked me, to say the least.

As soon as all of the screaming became distant though, everything was silent. I felt nothing.

There was no bright light, my passed loved ones were no where in sight, there was no big screen with all of my core memories playing out as I approached the infamous stairs.

It was just me. It was comforting, surprisingly enough.

My thoughts and I were alone in that black room for what felt like an eternity, before I was struck awake by a sharp shock.

I gasp for air, my eyes as wide as dinner plates as I look around the bright room. I look around the room, only seeing faces I don't recognize.

I begin to panic, my heart rate increasing significantly as the doctors attempt to hold me down. They begin shouting at each other, saying scientific terms I wouldn't dare to even begin to understand.