3.4 - A Sore Thumb

"Hey, Koleton!" I call out to him as I jog down the hallway towards the guest bedroom, where he sleeps now since he refuses to leave me here alone. "I was wondering if- why are you packing?"

"I'm leaving." He mumbles and I let out a soft laugh.

"Well when will you be back?" I shake my head, still not understanding the reason behind him packing.

"A few weeks. I have to go back home to my family. I don't know what the plan with you is, but I hope they figure something out." He sighs and my jaw slightly drops.

"Oh, uhmmm alright." I back out of his room, slamming into a body.

I turn around to see Noelle standing there, an aggravated look on her face. "Hey Noelle, I-"

Before I can even fucking begin my sentence, she pushes past me to enter the room.

"Koleton, you need to take Margo with you. Don't argue or ask questions, but Jeff said it'd be good for the media." Noelle hurriedly states as Koleton and I give each other glances of confusion.

"The media? I'm going back to Tennessee to see my family and you're worried about the media?" Koleton stares at her in disbelief as silence falls over us. "You know what, fine. Margo, go pack your bags because we're leaving tonight."

"I- okay..?" I slowly walk to my room as a million thoughts fill my head at once, a certain one distracting me from the others.

Why does he have to go to Tennessee anyways?

———

"It's cold." I frown, complaining as we leave the airport.

"Yeah, this isn't Los Angeles weather." Koleton puts our bags into the car as the paparazzi begin to surround us.

"No shit, because this isn't Los Angeles."

Jeff told us to lie and say I'm here for business. I haven't come to Tennessee for business in a few years so I doubt the media will believe it. I'm just scared of the theories that will be created surrounding the trip.

I climb into the car as Koleton follows me, not saying a single word until the car begins to drive away.

"There are a few rules that have always been set in this house hold." He turns to me and I nod, intrigued already. "I really want my family to like you so I need you to obey the rules."

"Well I don't even know them so-"

"First rule, no cursing. If my parents hear you curse, no matter how old you are, they'll automatically hate you." He begins listing off the rules and I nod.

"That's easy, media training helped me with that."

"Right, second rule; no leaving the table until everyone is done eating and do not put your elbows on the table."

"Okay now that one is just basic manners. Are there any really hard rules?" I tilt my head and he lets out a sigh.

"Everyone has to help clean, everyone has to follow the house rules, and everyone has to help on the farm." He states the last one a bit quieter than the others and my jaw drops.

"You live on a farm?! Why did you never tell me? Like, I knew you were from the south, but I didn't know you were from the south." I place my hand over my mouth and he groans. "It's not a bad thing I just didn't expect it."

"Don't make a big deal out of it, please. My family knows that I work for you, but they aren't expecting you to come home with me." He warns me and I nod.