3.5 - Accents And Introductions

"You're quite tall." Meemaw, Koleton's grand-mother's jaw gapes at my height.

"Meemaw, leave her alone. Momma said dinner's ready." Koleton places his hand on her shoulder and leads her into the kitchen, mouthing 'sorry' as they walk away.

"I just want to know how to grow taller." She frowns, her voice disappearing around the corner along with her.

I suck in a long breath before blowing it out through my mouth, failing at my attempt to blow all of the nerves away. I slowly walk into the kitchen, all of the noise surrounding me like a bubble.

As soon as we all sit down, Koleton and Andrea both grab my hands as everyone bows their heads. Shit.

I quickly bow my head and close my eyes as his mom begins the prayer.

"Dear Heavenly Father, we are forever grateful for you allowing us to have another meal. Thank you for bringing Koleton back home safely along with his girlfriend. May you please help them stay safe while being here? Amen." I open my eyes to see Koleton staring at me, causing me to press my lips together.

I didn't tell her to say it.

The food is distributed then everyone begins eating. My nerves building up about the questions.

"So, Margo, how long have you and Koleton known each other?" Koleton's grand-father looks up at me and I give Koleton a look as if his eyes will tell me what to say.

"A little over a year I believe. It could be longer than that though." I give him a vague answer and he nods, going back to his food.

"You have the prettiest eyes, which parent do you get them from?" Andrea asks as I begin to cut my food.

"Mom, I told you not to ask about her family." Koleton scolds her quietly, but I lightly nudge his leg with my own.

I really want his family to like me and I refuse to let him ruin this for me.

"My mum, actually." I answer with a smile. "She and I have the same features, while my dad and I have the same personality."

"That's interesting." She raises her eyebrows. "Koleton used to have the exact same features and personality as me, but now he resembles his father in every aspect."

"The two of you have the same lips. I mean, the same smile. You also has the same eye-shape and hair colour." I smile, causing her to look a bit happier.

"That's nice to know." She smiles softly. "You've got a pure heart."

———

"They think we're dating?" I whisper to Koleton as we clean off the table.

"I didn't expect it, I swear." He shakes his head and I sigh.

"Don't swear, God doesn't like people that swear." I tease him, gesturing towards the cross thats hung on the wall and he groans.

"Koleton!" Stevie and Cecilia, the younger girl, run into the dining room. "Can you come ride the trail with us? Phoenix said no and mom said we need one of the older kids. Margo can come too!"

Koleton gives me a look and I shrug, honestly okay with anything they want me to do. They could tell me to dig my own grave and toss myself head first into it and I'd do it if that meant his family liked me.

I can tell his family means a lot to him, so I don't want to do anything that would cause them to hate me.

"Yeah, we'll need clothes for Margo though. She doesn't exactly know how to ride a horse." He finally agrees and Cecilia runs up to me, grabbing my hand.