3.9 - Stories For Strangers

Koleton's POV:

"Margo, we have to go!" Noelle yells through the house as I sit in the kitchen.

It's been a week since we got back from our trip to Tennessee and she hasn't spoken about the death experience a single time. She keeps acting as if she didn't literally die and come back to life.

"Hey, you okay?" Noelle taps my shoulder, a look of concern well written across her face. "You look like you've seen a ghost."

If only you knew the irony in that statement.

"Yeah, sorry. I have a headache." I attempt to laugh it off and she smiles, rolling her eyes.

"Well, take some medicine because we've got a busy schedule today. Margo! Come on!"

"Coming, sorry! I was busy talking to Louis on the phone. Are all of us ready to go?" Margo jogs down the stairs, causing me to stand up and watch her closely in case she faints again.

"Did you take your medicine?" Noelle asks, staring at Margo as she approaches us.

"Yeah."

She glances back at me, confusion washing over her face.

I've been trying to hold back from seeing her differently, but she died in my arms. A normal person doesn't just move on from something like that.

"What's wrong with you?" She laughs, nudging me with her elbow. "You look constipated."

"He's got a headache." Noelle grabs her purse and jacket as we approach the front door.

"Take some medicine." Margo looks up at me and Noelle shakes her head.

"That's what I told him." Noelle responds as we exit the house and approach the car.

The car ride is short and quiet, not like it was before.

The interview starts faster than I can comprehend what's going on, Margo already sitting on the other side of the camera with a smile on her face.

"So, the media says you died?" The interviewer asks Margo and I prepare myself to lunge in there as soon as possible.

"Yes, I did, but I'm well alive right now." Margo nervously laughs, digging her nails into her leg.

"Do you feel the experience has changed you in any way?" The interviewer writes a few things down as Margo lets out a sigh.

"I guess you could say that. I've always felt as if life was precious, but now I don't want to take anything or anyone for granted." She glances off camera at me, looking back at the interviewer quickly.

Ever since I first met her, I've been trying to figure her out. She's been through more than I'm sure anyone knows, but her eyes are still filled with innocence as if she was just baptized.

The interview lasts a few more minutes before Margo rises from her seat, say her goodbyes to the crew. She approaches me as I hand her the jacket she asked me to hold when we first got here.

"You ready?" She smiles, looking up at me as she pulls the jacket over her shoulders.

"Yeah, are you?" I manage to croak out and she smiles.

"I always am."

———

"Are you okay?" I ask Margo as we enter the house. Today has been a long day and I just want to make sure she's not keeping anything from me about her health.

"Yeah, why?" She looks back at me as she pulls her jacket off, placing it onto the back of the couch. "Are you okay? You've been acting weird all day."