5.1 - Goodbyes

I quietly set up the camera and let out a long sigh before hitting the record button.

"Hey you guys, this video is going to be a different one." I look down at my hands, swallowing all of my fear away. "The past few days have been worse than the others. I don't want to push this back any further, in case I forget."

"This is my video dedicated to everyone that's been here to see me grow into the person I am. Specifically my younger self. Thank you for not giving up on me."

I begin to tear up and let out a laugh at my overwhelming emotions. "I'm sorry, I told myself I wasn't going to cry. Anyway, here's a song I wrote for my younger self. I'm giving it to the guys, but I want to sing it for you before I begin with the sappiness."

"This is Old Me."

I begin strumming a few chords before singing the first few lyrics. "Shout out to the old me, and everything you showed me."

*
"You're Margo, right?" Calum Hood asks as he approaches me with a smile.

"Yeah, that's me. Why?" I ask as I close my locker and turn to him with a confused look. "Giselle and Luke aren't here, if that's what you're here for."

"No! No, I actually just came from over there, where Luke is. I wanted to talk to you." He lets out a nervous laugh, causing me to smile.

"Oh? I'm intrigued." I wiggle my eyebrows and he smiles. "What's up? I'm not in trouble, am I?"

"No, of course not! I just wanted to see how you're doing."

"Well, it's hard not to break under the weight of the world, but I'm managing. I know my future self will thank me one day for not giving up."
*

"Now that I've finished the song, this next message is for Ashton." I let out a soft sigh, smiling at the thought of his cheeky grin when he finally watches this. "Thank you for being the person I can always look forward to talking to. Thank you for not being biased and only ever telling me what I needed to hear. You deserve endless love, and I hope you find it. Thank you for being my safe space, my best friend, my brother. You deserve more credit than I could ever give you."

*
"I'm not hugging you." I shake my head furiously as I push him away. "Ashton, you stink."

"I was just in the ditch thanks to Luke, of course I stink." He argues and I place my hands onto my hips.

"Then go change! After, and ONLY after you change, we can hug." I walk away from him and he clears his throat from behind me.

"Not if I steal a hug!"

He lunges at me and pulls me into a tight hug with a laugh bellowing from inside him.

"Ashton, you smell like cheese!"
*

I let out a shaky breath and look down at my list that I wrote down, in case I forget the people I want to thank.

"This next thanks goes to Mikey. We didn't talk much, but you never failed to show me that even the quiet people can have the loudest impact. You'll never understand the amount you've changed my life by just being by my side. Thank you for seeing through my shield and noticing that I'm just like you."

*
"You're good for him." Mikey nudges me as we sit beside the field, watching Calum aimlessly kick the ball around. "He's happy when he's with you."

"I'm happy when I'm with him too." I smile softly before turning to face him. "You're a good friend."

"Yeah, I like to think I am."
*