0.7 - People Like Him

"You're not going to mention anything you saw last night to anyone." Jeff states, pacing through the living room.

He and Calum's management came over today, to discuss the events that took place last night. So pretty much, there are a bunch of grown men trying to convince two teenagers to keep a secret.

I've kept my arms folded across my chest the entire time, and Calum is so tense he seems like a statue.

"So we're just not going to talk about it?" I ask, looking up at Jeff before glancing at Abe. "We just have to act like we didn't see it?"

Silence washes over us and it causes anger to pulse through my veins. I stand up, raising my voice in case they didn't hear me.

"We are children, Jeff. We're supposed to be finishing school and you're forcing us to act like we don't know that Abe killed someone!" I point a finger at Abe, not wanting to even look at him. "If you would take the time to explain this to us, we would possibly be okay with all of this."

They all stare at me like I'm insane as the only sound in the room is the clock on the wall. Calum's manager, Matt Emsell, finally speaks up as he approaches me.

"We can work something out where the media won't be suspicious." He holds his hands out as if he's handing me something, slowly walking towards me. Calum grabs my hand, gently distancing me from Matt as he proceeds to talk. "You two have to act as if there's something going on between the two of you."

My jaw drops and I feel my body turn into a ball of fire.

"I refuse to pretend I'm in a relationship. I can't have friends but you want me to have a fake boyfriend? There's no way I'm-" I begin to yell at this point, Jeff approaching me.

"Margo, you're an actress, this is your job." His voice is soft and my ears are ringing.

"I'm not going to be someone's beard, Jeff. I want to be a fucking kid." I spit his name out like venom, causing him to slowly back up. "If i have to be in a fake relationship then I get to call the shots from now on. First up on the list, I want to hangout with One Direction and Calum's band all the time."

"Fine," Jeff rolls his eyes, turning to Matt. "We can work something out."

"I'm not done." I hold a finger up, walking towards him. "You don't get to overwork any of us. If we're tired, we get a break, and don't you dare say that won't work because I know it will."

He stands in front of me, shocked at my knowledge of everything.

"Finally, you're going to tell me what the hell is going on with Abe."

———

We've been out at dinner for a couple hours and I don't think Calum likes how heavily I'm monitored.

"Hold my hand." I whisper to Calum, not taking my eyes off of the crowd in front of us.

He looks at me quizzically and I mentally roll my eyes, grabbing his hand.

I watch as the crowd exchange glances of confusion and interest, pointing their cameras towards us. I smile and nudge Calum, silently telling him to follow my actions.

We approach the car as the cameras come closer. The closer they get, the tighter Calum holds my hand.

I give him a look of confusion, noticing he's subconsciously chewing the skin off of his lip.

"Look at me, hey," I grab his face softly and notice his pupils dilate as soon as he lays his eyes on me. "We've got this. We're gonna be okay."

He forces a smile before going back to chewing on his lip. I try to think of ways to distract him before finally coming up with an idea.