Chapter 20

Olivia

As I walk into the infirmary, I see Madam Pomfrey tending to a younger ravenclaw boy. I feel nerves hit my stomach, I am hoping she hears me out and lets me shadow her for the rest of the term. I am still not certain being a healer is exactly what I want to do in my future, but I think it would be interesting to try and see if it fits.

"Miss. Lancing, what can I do for you?" Madam Pomfrey asks as she walks away from the boy.

I take a step towards her and fill my voice with confidence, "I was wondering if I could discuss an independent study with you?"

Her face falls quickly and looks at me with shallow eyes, "I'm not sure if I will be able to take on any students for an independent study this year Miss. Lancing." I take a moment to look around the infirmary to see several beds filled with students.

"A moment please," She turns to look up at me as I start to plead, "look how busy you are with students." I motion to all the beds filled, "I can do simple tasks, I'm not asking for a full lesson, I just want to be able to see if being a healer could be a calling of mine." Her face changes a little as she hears what I have to say.

"Miss. Lancing..."

"I promise, I won't be a bother. I can be a runner for you! I can get supplies and just watch you do certain procedures. I promise I will be more a help than a distraction." I feel my voice coming out strong and I can see Madam Pomfrey look more interested in what I have to say.

She rests her hands on her hips and lets out a deep sigh. As she looks up at me she slightly rolls her eyes in a joking manner, "Alright then. I may not be able to host you for the full term but I will have you do what you can." A smile grows on my face as she finished talking.

"Thank you! I will see you tomorrow morning then." She gives me a slight nod as I turn to walk out.

I know I don't feel confident in wanting to be healer as my future occupation, but I am just thankful that I will be able to have a distraction for the term. I need something to help me be occupied while my mind is in constant fear of Draco.

As I walk down the corridors to head to the Gryffindor common room, I run into Daphne. She is hunched over the window looking out into the courtyard.

"Daphne?" I walk over towards her to see if she is okay.

She jumps slightly at my presence, "Olivia! Sorry you scared me.." her eyes are red and her cheeks are wet.

"Are you alright?" I ask as I rest a hand on her shoulder.

"Y-You don't know?" She looks up at me with questioning eyes.

"Know what?" My mind is confused as to what exactly she is talking about.

"Dean broke up with me." Her face falls and she breaks eye contact with me. My stomach drops and I suddenly feel a wave of concern throughout my body.

"I had no idea Daphne...I-I am so sorry.." I don't know what to say to comfort her. I would usually say something along the lines of "He isn't worth your time" or "He really wasn't a decent guy anyway", but that is my best friend that broke up with her. I am also just hearing about this so I don't fully know what happened. So I decide just to rub her shoulder and tell her "I'm sorry" for the time being.

After a few minutes pass Daphne leaves to go to her room. I tell her that time heals the heart and that it will all be okay. I race back to the common room to find Dean to figure out what exactly happened to cause a break up. Dean is in love with her? What changed so quickly?