Chapter 21

The best way I have found to completely block my mind off from Draco is spending as much time in my independent study as possible. I have become rather fond of working with Pomfrey. I like helping people and Hermione was right, this makes me feel more in control.

The past couple months have been extremely odd. Everyone is acting a little distant with each other and Harry has been pretty much M.I.A. I know Hermione and Ron have been hiding something from us, but I never like to push them for answers, especially Hermione.

"Okay, I have to leave. I am working tonight for the first time all alone." I say to my friends while they continue to eat.

"Madam Pomfrey trusts you?" Ron asks with a small laugh of shock behind his voice. I stand and roll my eyes at him "Well to be fair I have been her right hand for the past three months." I take a pause before telling them more, "And the only people in the infirmary are two boys staying the night while their bones grow back."

"Well that explains why Pomfrey trusts you then, you aren't going to be doing anything." Seamus cuts in laughing. I roll my eyes again at the boys making jokes.

"Good Luck Liv." I look down to see Hermione giving me a thumbs up and a smile. I look at her with admiration and then grab my things to leave. As I walk out of the Great Hall I see Katie Bell walking in.

"Katie, great to see you." I smile at her and she gives me a small nod. As I walk to meet with Madam Pomfrey I start to think about the accusations Harry had made about Draco. My mind goes to a dark place thinking about Draco being the reason Katie Bell could have died. I brush it off quickly before entering the infirmary.

"Miss. Lancing, right on schedule. Thank you for watching over for the night. Now dear, you know where everything is right? If the two boys need anything for pain-" I cut her off before she starts to give me a whole monologue.

"Yes, yes Madam Pomfrey. I know where it all is. I can do this." I say feeling confident. I do feel confident in myself. Even though I may not have anything to do that may be important for the night, at least I am making a step in the right direction.

"Okay dear. I will see you tomorrow, thank you." She nods me away and then I am left alone. The two boys are asleep in their cots. One of them is a Gryffindor and the other is a Ravenclaw. Apparently they both got into a brawl during the Quidditch match and rolled down the stairs.

I grab a small chair from the corner and sit quietly. I decide to take out the book I found in the library a couple months ago about the basics of healing. I have finished it twice already but I always find myself stumbling over some of the charms and potions to use when healing. So I am re-reading it for another time.

The first hour goes by extremely slow. I had to cast a pain relief charm on the Ravenclaw boy because he woke up feeling pain in his forearm. Other than that, it has been silent throughout the room.

"Madam Pomfrey!" I hear from outside of the doors. I stand from the chair and walk towards the person yelling out. Professor Snape walks in with no other than Draco.

"Where is Madam Pomfrey?" Snape spits at me. Draco looks severely hurt and I stumble on my words. "She-She isn't here. I am in her place for the night."

"Mr. Malfoy has been hurt. I will relieve you of your duties for the night and get Madam Pomfrey to handle the situation." Snape says, looking displeased with me.

"I'm sorry Professor but Madam Pomfrey is off the grounds for the night. That is why I am here." Draco is holding his stomach looking down towards the floor.

"Well that will not do Miss. Lancing. I do not believe you are capable of handling Mr. Malfoy's injuries." Snape's eyes lower at me as he questions my abilities.