Chapter 28 - Oh Brother

Dabi's POV

There are sometimes when the life of villainy sucks. This is one of those times. I sat in my dusty one bedroom apartment, on a busted couch looking intently at the small fuzzy screened television that sat upon the floor in front of me.

I watched the faceless crowds viewing the UA sports festival. Their loud cheers echoing through the hollow room. I wanted to see the festival live, but security was tight enough before the USJ attack, never mind now. What's more I'm still a wanted man. A burnt zombie showing up at UA to watch future heroes compete didn't sound like a good idea.

As much as I hated this whole hero society, the UA festival brought back fond memories. I would watch it every year with Kimi and Shoto. His eyes would be as large as saucers as he watched the students display their quirks. We would always end up watching it at Kimi's house, where we didn't have to worry about my 'father' making rude comments about Kimi. That bastard never liked her, he always said she was too weak for me and he could arrange a more suitable match. Yeah, because you're such an expert on love old man.

I watched the crowd go wild as class 1A entered the stadium and a familiar red and white head stood out from the students. Damn, he has grown up so fast. Shoto marched forward ignoring the cheering crowd with a distant look of determination in his heterochromatic eyes. I swallow thickly, recognising the look immediately. It was the look of determination I had given everyday in that damn training programme. I just hope he has the sense to turn out better than I did.

The camera panned across the stadium and I felt my heart leap when I caught a glimpse of Kimi in the medic stands, watching on with an excited grin. I felt myself smile in response. She always loved the sports festival, even if she didn't have any idea who the heroes presenting the awards were. She was just happy to see Shoto happy. The sight of Kimi also made me nervous. I plan on stopping her on her way home today to tell her she has nothing to worry about and I have no intention of pursuing her following the casual murder that took place outside her apartment. Thoughts of her reactions plagued my mind but I tried to push them out, knowing they'd just convince me to abandon the plan.

Regardless, I found myself pleading to the powers the be that the camera would pan across to her throughout the opening formalities. However, as soon as the first event started I became engrossed.

Shoto used ice to stick his opponents to the ground as he took the lead. I didn't know what I was expecting but seeing my little brother act so ruthlessly made me both mad and proud. I was enraged thinking that our old man had shaped my sweet little brother into the ruthless boy on the screen. But at the same time, he really had advanced and if I had his quirk I probably would have done the same thing.

"Show them what you're made of Sho." I muttered to myself as the first task progressed. I found myself standing from the beat up couch and squatting down in front of the television, occasionally shouting words of encouragement to thin air.

"Come on Sho! Just a little further, you got this buddy!" I shout, my face inches from the screen. He was so close. The finishing line a few meters ahead. But out of no where some green haired kid flew past him on a scrap piece of metal.

"No! Who the hell are you?! Come on Sho!" I bellow making my neighbour below shout at me to be quiet, not that I cared. My fists were clenched tightly as I watched Shoto slowly closing the gap, but not fast enough. The green haired kid came first but Sho was a close second, followed by some angry blond kid.

I relaxed slightly as a commercial break began to play. Damn. He isn't anything like how I remember him. Of course I had caught a glimpse of him now and again. I always tried to keep tabs on all my siblings, but I'd never see him use his quirk like this. I'd never seen him look so powerful ... or so lost.