Chapter 71 - Fast and Furious mom

Kimi's POV

I was never a strong swimmer but I always had a love for floating. Something about lying completely still of the surface of the water came naturally. The water masking the sounds of the world around you as it blocked out your ears, your body becoming weightless and empty. It always made me feel at ease, and it was exactly how I felt now. The world around me was muffled but I knew others could hear it perfectly, my body was no longer in pain but floating without aim or reason. This wasn't like the first time I thought I was dying. With Shigaraki, I watched the span of my own life and the lives of those around me dance in front of my eyes like some twisted play I would never know the ending of. But right now, in this transient state, I felt nothing but still. Come to think of it I don't even think I am dying. I can't remember being injured, though my mind is hazy and floating just as much as my body, so I can't be totally sure of that. But Eri got out ... I think. I hope she did.

Hawks POV

The beeping from the heart monitor was slowly driving me crazy. I had been perched on the uncomfortable hospital chair for the past four hours waiting on Kimi to wake up. Rubbing her hands and talking to her had done little to ease the tension in my mind. She has to wake up right? She's scratched up and scarred but she's going to be okay. The doctors said she was going to be okay.

I had already spoken to her parents on the phone who were currently on their way, and by Hana's driving they may be here faster than they should. I had spoken to Fatgum as well and he told me about Nighteye, who sadly didn't make it. I didn't really know the guy but it's always hard to hear about the death of another hero, it always seems to put things into perspective. This time it was Nighteye but he did nothing wrong, it could have been any of us. The thought alone of leaving Kimi behind like that made me uncomfortable and did nothing to ease my racing mind.

The constant beeping of the heart monitor was finally interrupted by the sound of my own phone vibrating in my pocket and I let out an uneasy sigh at the sight of the caller ID.

"Hey Patchwork." I said dimly not taking my eyes off Kimi's sleeping form.

"You said you'd call once she was safe." He replied bluntly.

"I was a little busy. But she's safe now. We're in the hospital." I elaborate taking her hand in mine one again and running my thumb over her scarred skin.

"Is she going to be alright? Put her on!" He demanded quickly causing me to wince at the volumn.

"She's not conscious yet but I'll let you know once she wakes up. They said she should be fine physically. She has a few new battle wounds but nothing life threatening. But they don't know about her mental state. She was locked up by a maniac, that sort of situation can do things to people." I said swallowing the lump in my throat as I thought of what that bastard put her through.

"You still there?" I asked hearing his shallow breathing through the phone.

"Yeah ... just ... let me know when she wakes up or if anything changes." He almost whispered and hung up before I could even reply. I leaned back in the stiff wooden chair sighing loudly.

"Well someone's not happy." A small voice mumbled as my head shot up to be met with a smiling Kimi. Her body was bruised and scarred and she was clearly in a good deal of pain but she still smiled that cheeky grin she always gives me when I'm being dramatic.

"Kimi!" I all but scream before launching myself at her and pulling her into my body.

"Not so fast Birdy, I'm the patient now remember?" She said with a small grin, though her voice did sound a little strained.

"Is she okay? Eri? Is she hurt?" She asked abruptly, looking around the room as thought the six year old would magically appear.

"She's fine, don't worry. Eraserhead was with her last time I saw her, they're running some tests to make sure she's alright to be up and about." I reason watching her visibly relax at my words.

"What happened exactly? I remember Midoriya went flying off with Eri and Overhaul was chasing them but ... I can't remember anything after that?" She asked taking my hand in hers and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"They made it out and the heroes apprehended Overhaul and his goons. Eri has a pretty risky quirk, it's called reverse. But it actually came in pretty handy, that Deku kid kept breaking his bones with his own quirk but she was able to mend them almost immediately. She's with Eraser so he can keep her quirk in check." I said with a smile watching her nod at the news.

"What about Togata and Sir Nighteye? He was pretty badly injured the last I remember..." she trailed off almost as though she knew what I was going to say.

"LeMillion is fine, that bullet you stopped would have removed his quirk permanently! But about Nighteye ... I'm sorry, he didn't make it. All Might, Deku and LeMillion were by his side when he passed. Don't give me that look baby, there was nothing you could have done." I cut her off seeing her look of defeat at my words.

"But if I even started to heal him it might have given him a better chance once he got to the hospital-" she began before I pulled her into another hug.

"The spike pierced straight through his internal organs Kimi. No amount of healing would have been able to save him. It was a miracle we even made it to hospital. He was surrounded by people who loved him. I'm sorry Babybird, I know it's hard to admit but there was nothing you could have done." I reassured rubbing her back gently.

"We should get a nurse in here to check you over, your parents will be here soon." I smiled watching her fall back into the bed with a groan.

"Mom is freaking out isn't she?" She sighed causing me to chuckle.

"The last I heard she was cursing at the car in front of her and cutting him off on the freeway. So pretty calm considering." I laugh pressing the buzzer for the nurse.

The nurse came and ran her usual checks but as soon as she left the door burst open and a disheveled Hana ran in pouncing on her daughter whilst her husband walked in visibly shaking.

"My poor baby! Are you okay? Where does it hurt? Did they catch the scumbag responsible for this? Where can I find him?" She asked in a frenzy as Kimi gave her a lazy smile.

"Nice to see you too mom. I'm fine, really. The doctors have me on pain meds. Yes they did catch him, no you can't go after him or you'll end up in a cell beside him.

"I don't care he hurt my baby!" She growled pulling Kimi into another tight hug.

"Umm, dad you okay?" Kimi asked causing me to look over at her dad who was still shaking slightly, his mouth agape.

"Oh he just wasn't used to me being behind the wheel." Hana dismissed going over to pat her husband on the back.

"We went 100mph ... the police were chasing us at one point." He managed to murmer out, my eyes going wide at his words.

"We lost them so it's fine, besides it was an emergency." Hana said absentmindedly still rubbing her husband's back to ease his apparent shock.

I looked over at Kimi with a raised eyebrow but she was just staring at her parents with a knowing smile on her face. God, it's good to have her home.