Chapter 73 - A new possible life

Kimi's POV

The hospital was always a buzzing hub during the day, doctors and nurses checking in every few minutes, not to mention the numerous visits from family and friends. But night was the complete antithesis. The empty halls caused the faint hum of the electric safety lights to echo through the hospital wing, but the absence of conversation made the lively room seem dull and almost creepy.

"Hey, I didn't think you'd be awake this late." Came the familiar gruff tone of Touya. His tall dark form seemed to move out from the shadows of the room as though he belonged amongst them.

"Oh my God Touya! You scared me." I whisper shouted across to him, sitting up in my bed and watching him walk over to me only to sit down at the bottom of my bed.

"Sorry about that. I couldn't exactly come during normal visiting hours but I wanted to see you." He said softly, his voice barely above a whisper. Yet, his voice seemed to draw me in like a siren's call, whether it was his absence over the past few days, or the overwhelming notion that his body was so close to mine in the darkened room, I felt the urge to lean in closer to his body.

"You always sculk around the beds of women in hospital?" I joked weakly, my voice still frail from lack of use since the day was long over.

"Only the pretty ones" he smirked leaning closer and resting a cool hand on my forehead.

"You know for someone with a fire quirk your hands are freezing!" I smiled coming up to remove his hand from my head but not letting it go from my own palm.

"What can I say I'm a cool guy?" He replied lightly.

"I'm sorry Touya." I whisper, the room becoming silent with those three words.

"What for? You didn't do anything." He asked tilting his head slightly at my words.

"You told me about Kenji and I didn't listen. I don't know why I just ... I guess I didn't want to believe it. I'm sorry." I explain feeling slightly ashamed of my actions. I had been trying hard to create a stable life away from Touya, away from the League, away from villians in general but by ignoring him I just threw myself back into the fire.

"I mean ... I told you so." He joked elbowing me slightly and causing me to snort.

"Yeah yeah don't let it go to your head." I replied as we both fell into a comfortable silence.

"I had to work with that stupid bird you know." He said a little awkwardly.

"Seriously? He didn't tell me about that ... how?" I asked feeling a little put off that Keigo didn't mention Touya's involvement.

"Of course he didn't, typical hero taking credit for a joint ... sorry. Yeah, I went to find you but ended up telling the chicken about everything. We worked together to hunt you down and get the inside info to help crack you out." He explained dryly, gazing out the window momentarily at the starless skyline.

"Then I believe thanks are in order. You're more hero like than you think." I laughed watching him scowl playfully at my words.

"You don't have to put it like that doll. Look, I'm sorry I keep coming back and messing up your life. I know you don't want or need this and I know it's selfish of me but ... I guess I just can't seem to stay away from you Kimi. I still love you doll and no amount of time can change that ..." he trailed off looking down at our interlocked fingers, my scarred hand now matching his own, albeit less burnt.

"If I'm being honest I've been trying to convince myself that I don't need you in my life but I don't think I want to do that anymore. I want you in my life Touya." I said softly before I could even stop myself, my voice cracking with wavering emotion.

"You ... you mean that?" He asked, his low voice seeming smaller than usual, almost like how he used to sound, his eyes wide even in the darkness.

I couldn't find the words to speak but managed to nod my head quickly, Touya's hand squeezing mine tightly at the movement. What am I doing? Keigo would hate me for this but I'm done lying to myself. I love Keigo but a part of me will always love Touya. I lost him once and the thought of never seeing him again made my heart ache.

Without warning Touya pulled me into a tight hug, his head coming to rest above mine, cold lips pressing against my temple.

"Come away with me. Please doll. I can't ... I can't make it in this world without you." He almost sobbed, his voice quivering as his cold palms rubbed up and down my back.

"You know I can't. Some people are meant to be villians but I don't belong in the League, you know that." I whispered back.

"I know. But it doesn't have to be the League. We can go anywhere. If giving up the League, giving up that ideology is what it takes for us to be together I'll do it in a heartbeat! Please Kimi. I love you and we can ran away together. Anywhere. We can go to ... Iceland! You always wanted to go there right? We could see the northern lights, live in a cabin somewhere. We can leave all this behind. Just you and me. Have the future we always dreamed of!" He reasoned, his voice coming out hushed but fast, as though he could see the future he had just painted before his very eyes and it would disappear once his words stopped.

"Touya ..."

Author's note

Another cliff hanger I know! But the story is finally coming to a close so to appease both Dabi and Hawks simps, the story will end with both a Dabi ending and a Hawks ending. I'll be posting these today so you won't have long to wait but I just wanted to say a massive thank you got all your lovely comments and favourites!

Lara xx