Chapter 52 - Coming Clean

Kimi's POV

The darkening sky had plunged the living room into darkness, the only light, flickering from the television screen that seemed to be playing the scenes of Kimino Ward on repeat. I had spent the past two hours telling a silent Keigo about Touya or Dabi as he is now known. I told him about the break in and the attack at the training camp. But felt myself come to a halt when speaking about what had occurred at the League of Villians headquarters.

"Why didn't you tell me? About the break in. I could have helped. I was so worried that something awful was going to happen but ... do you not trust me?" Keigo asked, his voice seeped in hurt.

"Of course I do! I just ... I don't know. I didn't even tell Fuyumi. I couldn't let her know what Touya's become and it just didn't feel right to tell you and not her. Plus what was I supposed to say? 'Hey hero boyfriend, want to hear about my villian ex so you can arrest him'?" I said a little too sarcastically and instantly regretting it.

"So you're defending this guy now? He could have killed you Kimi!" Keigo spat back, a strange anger I had never heard before laced in his tone.

"He wouldn't have done that!"

"How do you know that?!"

"Because he still loves me!" I shout back instantly regretting it. Within seconds Keigo's angry eyes turn sorrowful. His shoulders slump down and he began to stare at his open palms.

"He still ... he still loves you?" he asked his voice breaking slightly at the question. I rushed to his side and cupped his face until his eyes met mine.

"He does. But I didn't say I still loved him. We were together for so long but he isn't the same person now and neither am I. I love you Keigo. You know that right?" I asked in a reassuring tone. I loved Touya for so long but that part of my life is over. Things don't always work out the way you planned but that doesn't mean they turn out badly. I love Keigo. I genuinely do and I'm not about to throw that away for Dabi. Touya ruined years of my life when he left. I'm not letting him ruin my relationship with Keigo too.

"Yeah. I just ... I saw what living without you was like and I know it was only a few days but I never want to feel that again. If you still love him, I want to know." Keigo said in a steady voice, his fingers intertwining with my own.

"I don't." I say as evenly as I can, ignoring the swell of emotions in my chest.

"Then why are you so afraid of him being arrested? Why do you still care?" He asked quietly. The question took me by surprise. Why do I still care? Is it because of our history? Because I sometimes catch glimpses of the old Touya behind Dabi's harsh exterior? Because I don't want the Todorokis to lose another family member, even if they didn't know it?

"Honestly, I don't know. We have so much history together. I've always wanted to protect him and ... I don't know, I suppose I hope there's a good person still inside him somewhere. I also ... I lost him once. I never knew if he was alive or dead. Seeing him again, even as a villain. I knew he was okay. If he was captured, it would be like losing him all over again." I said uncertainly. I know how hurtful my words must be for Keigo. It isn't fair on him to hear me talk about my ex like this but I am done with lies.

"There is something else you should know. He kissed me. When I was in the headquarters he tried to convince me to join the League and he kissed me." I said, my head hanging down unable to meet his eyes. I was momentarily shocked by the chuckle that resonated deeply from Keigo's chest.

"Jeez Babybird. You know how to cut me deep. But I appreciate the honesty. What did you tell him?"

"I told him I loved you and that I could never join the League." I mutter out feeling like a disappointment. Keigo deserves someone so much better than me. Someone who doesn't have such a messed up history of relationships. As my toxic thoughts pounded in my head I was brought back to reality by Keigo cupping my face and pressing his lips against mine.

It felt strange and wonderful to kiss him again. Our lips moving in perfect sync as though they were never parted.

"That's all I needed to hear Babybird. I love you too, just please ... no more secrets?" He whispered, his forehead resting against mine, our lips brushing with every hushed word.

"No more secrets." I promise before bringing his lips to mine once again, my back falling against the couch as Keigo hovers above me, wide red wings puffed up and silhouetting the dark ceiling above.

"Eeeeekkkk!" Screeched Peanut who angrily crawled out from behind my hair, annoyed that I had woken him from his peaceful slumber. Damn I forgot he was there. I'm a bad mama.

"Sorry baby!" I coo'd only to have him give me the cold shoulder and fly back to his hammock to rest away from the rowdy humans.

"Wait - he was there the whole time?" Keigo asked before we both burst out into uncontrolled laughter. Only to be silenced once again by Peanut's angry screeching.

"There is something we need to do in the bedroom." Keigo grinned taking my hand and leading me towards what had become our shared room.

"Oh really now?" I asked with a wink to which he only laughed.

"Head out of the gutter Babybird. Though there'll be plenty of time for that after." He grinned leaving me confused.

As I stood in my, now significantly messier than I left it bedroom, Keigo rushed over to a small tan bag and pulling out something small.

"All right baby, eyes closed."

"Okay?" I asked hesitantly closing my eyes.

"Open your mouth." He said clearly smirking.

"And you said my head was in the gutter?" I laughed though felt my cheeks burn with colour.

"Okay you can open your eyes now." He said softly catching me by surprise. Upon opening my eyes I was greeted with the sight of Keigo kneeling on the ground with a nervous smile and a small black box cupped between his palms.